We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of Train to Amsterdam?

Which The Hague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
reviews: 18
Price of Train to Amsterdam?

Good morning! My son is leaving Washington, DC in a few hours for long-planned trip to Paris, Brussels, The Hague, and Amsterdam!

Currently, he's staying with a friend in The Hague and has not booked a hotel in Amsterdam. Can someone please advise: What's the cost of travel from The Hague to Amsterdam, for day trips? (Train?) And how long is the trip time-wise?

He's flying home from Amsterdam and wondering if it might make more sense to spend a night or two there, rather than traveling back and forth?

If he decides to stay in Amsterdam...any recommendations for an inexpensive, CLEAN hotel for a single 27-year old in proximity to public transportation?

Thanks in advance!

13 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 68
1. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

www.ns.nl for train info 9292.nl/en for all public transport info.

Gaithersburg...
2. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

Thank you--except he can't figure out prices with that sight, as he doesn't yet know the names of the stations or addresses.

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

maybe he should be asking :),.

i think its liike a 45 min train ride (dont qoute me), and no more then 20 euro , but imo i would stay a few day in the Hague and explore , then a few days in Amsterdam

peavce matty

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty

Gaithersburg...
4. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

"maybe he should be asking"

Matty--Maybe you should consider that there's no need to be snarky or judgmental. It's not USEFUL. And making judgments without knowing others' circumstances, makes you appear to be shallow. 99.9 percent of TA folks are kind and generous with information. Leave it to me to get the rare exception...

The Hague, The...
reviews: 93
5. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

Yeah some people are remarkably unfriendly here, very strange as it does not happen on other forums.

A one way The Hague-Amsterdam is 10,60 euro, double for a return. Makes no difference anymore between same day or next days.

For those prices you can't stay in Amsterdam, so let him stay in my town The Hague.

If he has more travel plans, there's a National day ticket for 24 euro at www.treinkaartkorting.nl .

All in Dutch so let a Dutchan sort that out. Only till 13 October.

Travel time 50-60 minutes (depending on sort of train and route).

Edited: 1:18 pm, September 03, 2013
New York City, New...
reviews: 7
6. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

to be honest i didntmean it as being unfriendly, if that was the case i wouldnt have offered anything else,,

sorry if you too it the wrong way

The Hague, The...
reviews: 93
7. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

sorry for my comment. forget the first line.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
8. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

ok..in the hague its called den haag centraal..and the train station in amsterdam is amsterdam centraal..trip is around 45 minutes and costs €10.60 one way, 2nd class..try the english version.

http://www.ns.nl/reisplanner-v2/index.shtml

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 68
9. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

If you use the 9292 site you can put addresses in so not only will it give you train info it will give your son options on how to get to the station etc.

To be honest if his friend lives in Den Haag then he will have a pretty good idea of how to get around so whilst I appreciate you are trying to help him I'm sure he will manage just fine.

Gaithersburg...
10. Re: Price of Train to Amsterdam?

Many thanks Ronaldo and dutchguy for the information! Dutchguy-he has decided to stay with with his friend in The Hague and take the train to Amsterdam for day trips. Matty-no worries, we all need to think before we "speak" since social media and public forums lack the context and social cues of a face-to-face conversation.

Reply to: Price of Train to Amsterdam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about The Hague