We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Schipol to Den Haag- OV chipcard

Which The Hague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 11
From Schipol to Den Haag- OV chipcard

Hey, I just need some advice regarding the OV chipcard. I will be arriving from Amsterdam Schipol Airport and will be travel by train to Den Haag Centraal where I will take a tram to a friend's place. I will be spending about a week in Den Haag and thus go to all the places of interest. Is the anonymous OV chipcard necessary for me or should I just buy tickets as I travel on board trams etc?

Thanks for the help!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
1. Re: From Schipol to Den Haag- OV chipcard

I'm not an expert on the tram system in Den Haag but the strippenkaart is not used there anymore. Probably the easiest thing to do is get an OV card from the NS machine at the airport and load it up with at least €30 as this will cover your return trip to Den Haag on the train and around 10 trips on the tram.

There may be a better product that you can use in DH like a weekly ticket, perhaps you should ask your friend about this.

The only thing is that you need a €20 minimum balance on the card to use the train network so maybe it would be better on second thoughts, just to buy a paper ticket for the train and then get a weekly ticket when you are in DH.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
2. Re: From Schipol to Den Haag- OV chipcard

Spot on by Ron. In addition: Den Haag area still allows classic strippenkaarts, though you cannot buy these at airport; you should be able to buy one at Den Haag station kiosks etc.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 11
3. Re: From Schipol to Den Haag- OV chipcard

Thanks guys. I think Den Haag does not have weekly ticket but they do have the day card so I guess I will use that for the week I will be there.

den haag
reviews: 1
4. Re: From Schipol to Den Haag- OV chipcard

Aura, you could buy OV but you need to top up min 20 euros for the train trip plus you need to activate this option first.

I would advise you to buy normal ticket from the ticket machine at the schiphol to den haag central. There is one small problem... We had American friends over and they could not use their American bank cards to pay for their tickets at the ticket machine. I am not sure which was that and why.. But you may like to have some cash ready for this sort of situation.

here is the website for the trani schedule

http://ns.nl/

for the travel at the den haag better get yourself anonymous OV kaart, its quick easy to use, the only think you may not like is that you need to pay some deposit not sure how much it is maybe 5 euro which you wont get back. But you can use the kaart everywhere in NL any transport. You can still use strippenkaarts or buy tickets from the drivers if you like.

Edited: 10:32 am, December 20, 2010
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 144
5. Re: From Schipol to Den Haag- OV chipcard

Yes, good additional info. Paying at Schiphol with an American CC should not be a problem IF the card has a PIN, that's a very slow process with American banks AFIK.

Strippenkaart will disappear in The Hague (and all of South Holland province) per 3-Feb-2011...

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS See FAQ on the Ov-Chipcard on Netherlands forum level. An empty card is 7.50 euro and minimum deposit at the start of a HTM ride is something like 4-5 euro, just like the 4 euro that GVB uses.

6. Re: From Schipol to Den Haag- OV chipcard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 19, 2011