We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation in Netherlands/Belgium

Which The Hague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
reviews: 1
Transportation in Netherlands/Belgium

Hi, we will be visiting Netherlands and Belgium for about 8 days (in spring this year), with 6 days in Netherlands (Amsterdam, Hague, Rotterdam, Haarlem, etc) and 2 days in Belgium (Antewerp, Brussels/Brugge).

I was wondering what's the best mode of transportation for the trip. I was considering the Eurail 5-day pass but I am concerned if it will be good for local transportation as well. Another option is the 5-day pass for the Netherlands Railway, which should provide more coverage... but it won't work in Belgium. And the third obvious choice is to pay-as-you-go.

Whats the best option in terms of convenience and price?

Thanks for your advice

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: Transportation in Netherlands/Belgium

Hi there,

Difficult to say. For the Dutch part, www.ns.nl gives all prices for the individual rides so you can sum up and compare. For the Belgian part, www.nbms.be has similar options.

But even if individuals would be slightly cheaper, I'd still go for a pass as it saves you quite some time queueing. Individual tickets are now purchased mostly in vending machines (in both countries) and these accept coins or Maestro cards; often no credit cards and for sure no banknotes. So as a non-European tourist you'd have to queue for the few remaining counters, and even pay a surcharge of 50 cent per ticket as compared to the machine...

Hope this helps,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
2. Re: Transportation in Netherlands/Belgium

Hi applepie, welcome to TripAdvisor : )

There is also the Benelux Tourrail Pass. Unlimited 5 days travel within 1 month in Belgium, Netherlands & Luxemburg. A whopping $203USD 2nd class per adult. Can be bought ahead of time through internet or a travel agent, or at any train station in Belgium or Lux. (Neth. stopped selling it a long time ago). At over $400 for 2, I'd rather rent a car, if you ask me ...

If you would like to check the cost of buying a railpass vs pt to pt tickets, see: www.railsaver.com. Or www.seat61.com, click on 'Railpasses'.

3. Re: Transportation in Netherlands/Belgium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 27, 2009