We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 9
From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Tomorrow I'll be flying to Rotterdam and after 3-4 days we will go to Amsterdam but I couldn't find some information about these topics down below:

1- Exact prices for train and bus between these two cities

2- Travel times for each option. I guess train takes 1 hour to go from Rotterdam to Amsterdam but I have no information about bus.

3- Which one would you prefer?

Thank you in advance

8 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
1. Re: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Hi there,

1] There are no long distance buses here on routes that are covered by trains.

2] Train prices AND times: www.ns.nl/en. The Intercity Direct route is faster but has a small surcharge.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Inverness
reviews: 8
2. Re: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

I have just returned from Holland and took a journey on the train from Amsterdam to rotterdam. I think the price was about 20 euros per person or less, single journey. This was without purchasing them in advance. As Erik mentioned, this included a surcharge as it was the intercity direct train which is about 40 mins.

On a side note - we ate pizza at a restaurant in rotterdam called Gusto - delicious and worth a visit.

Klang, Malaysia
3. Re: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Hi I have check the link you given to book for train ticket, however during payment procedure, it only accept Netherland bank debit card, other countries are not allow? is there any possible way to book the ticket?.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
4. Re: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Intercity Direct takes 40 minutes and has a €2.30 surcharge. It goes twice an hour.

Normal intercity takes 70 minutes, so quite a bit longer.

You can buy at the train station on the day of departure. The machines probably only take coins (no bills) and Dutch debit cards. But you can also buy from the ticket counter (for €0.50 extra) using bills and perhaps credit card. So if you want the faster Intercity Direct then specify that.

If you really want to buy tickets online beforehand some people do that via www.b-europe.com (site for the Belgian railway! but they accept credit card), but I also read that it no longer works for booking Dutch tickets... but you can try.

Edited: 12:18 pm, August 08, 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
5. Re: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

no need to buy in advance...buy the ticket either from ticket counter or machine and hop on the next train

Edited: 1:04 pm, August 08, 2014
Klang, Malaysia
6. Re: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

TQ Steve ftw and Cecilie for your guidance.. ;-).

Leiden, The...
reviews: 4
7. Re: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

Btw: the €0,50 surcharge for buying tickets at a ticket office (instead of ticket machines) has been abolished as of 9th July. So prices will be the same, regardless of where you buy your ticket. Ticket machines at Rotterdam Central should accept credit cards as well, but only if you have a PIN.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
8. Re: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam

[Btw: the €0,50 surcharge for buying tickets at a ticket office (instead of ticket machines) has been abolished as of 9th July.]

Good news, I missed that! Thanks.

Reply to: From Rotterdam to Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted