We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concert in Rotterdam

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clarenville, Canada
1 post
Concert in Rotterdam

I am planning a first time trip to Rotterdam with my husband and daughter and I am really not sure what is the best part of the city to stay. I am wondering if someone could give me some advice on a good place to stay that is close to shops and restaurants. Also I we are going to a concert at Ahoy so I would also like to get input on the best transportation I should be using to get back to hotel late at night. Any ideas on things oar places we should see or visit while we are there...It will be a once in a lifetime trip for us and I wouldn't want to miss anything....Thanks Lori

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Concert in Rotterdam

I really liked 'A Small Hotel' in Witte de Withstraat, basically one of very few nice streets in Rotterdam.... The only thing is it can stay noisy at night because the street is buzzing with restaurants and bars (what I like about it), for me ear plugs do the trick but that's not for everybody. Oh - and it has no reception, you just have your own keys. It has pleasant rooms, very comfy beds and bathrooms, you can order for breakfast to be brought to your room, free wifi and iPhone docking station to play your own music, tv and dvd's, and in a central location close to a metro station and a tram stop. Reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188632-d667166… (and more reviews in booking.com)

In Witte de Withstraat you will find hip shops, snackbars, a fashionable wine bar, and other bars, and a mix of restaurants. For example Opa is very nice with a mix of French / Dutch food. Bazar serves mediterranean and middle-eastern food in cozy atmosphere (also has amazing breakfasts!). And Bagel Bakery not so far away in Schilderstraat also has amazing breakfast and lunch options with great bagels and bread.

For public transport use the planner www.9292.nl/en

Ahoy' is way out, you don't want to have a hotel near that. Just take a metro or taxi back into town after the concert, hundreds of people do.

Rotterdam is a modern city, if you're into modern architecture there is a lot there for you. If you prefer quaint and historical towns, you may want to visit Delft, Amsterdam, Leiden, Dordrecht...

Ideas for Rotterdam aplenty if you browse through existing posts in the Rotterdam branch. My favorite thing to do is to walk across the Erasmus bridge, visit the excellent Fotomuseum and wander around those old warehouses and the industrial rough area and see some interesting ships, then have 'tompouce' delicious pastry at Hotel New York, an old building with very tall ceilings, they make their own tompouces. You can take the watertaxi (a little boat) back to Leuvehaven, or to the start of the Spido boat tours through the harbor (one of the world's biggest).

Edited: 7:10 pm, June 03, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Concert in Rotterdam

P.S. Loads more info and suggestions here: http://en.rotterdam.info/visitors/

For example the 45 degree tilted Cube Houses are also very nice: …rotterdam.info/visitors/… > one is open as a museum for only €2.50; *and* the StayOkay hostel is in it! Could also be an interesting accommodation option.... or consider an apartment instead of a hotel?

And the smartphone app "Rotterdam Info" is also very good.

Edited: 7:17 pm, June 03, 2014
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
3. Re: Concert in Rotterdam

If you're going to a concert at the North Sea Jazz Festival at the Ahoy, second weekend in July; you need a hotel close to central Metro line . The operating time is extended. The Holiday Inn , Hilton would suit.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
154 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: Concert in Rotterdam

Just stay in or very nearby to the city center. Public transport is quite good and it is quite easy to get to Ahoy. Most shops will be found in the Nieuwe & Oude Binnenweg, West-Kruiskade, Lijnbaan, Koopgoot, Binnenwegplein and Laurenskwartier in the city center. For restaurants: take a look in the Witte de Withstraat, go to the Veerhaven, Oude Haven, Meent or other streets on the edges of the city center (Wilhelminapier, Westelijk Handelsterrein and Entrepotgebouw also house some restaurants).

Places to visit: tour the harbour by Spido, take a Watertaxi across the river (for example from Boompjes or Leuvehaven to Hotel New York or SS Rotterdam), visit the sundeck of the Rotterdam Steam Ship, cross the Erasmusbridge by foot, walk along the riverfront (Westerkade, Boompjes Park, Leuvehoofd Park), visit the Wilhelminapier with its diverse architecture and Hotel New York, see the brand new Rotterdam Central Station, go to Katendrecht (across the Rijnhavenbrug) and visit old harbours like the Veerhaven and Old Harbour. When the weather is hot and you are looking for parks you might also go to the Kralingse Plas, Dakpark or Hoek van Holland Beach. Of course also be sure to visit the dynamic Witte de Withstreet with all its cafes and restaurants and see some older parts like the Oude and Nieuwe Binnenweg, Westersingel, the multicultural West-Kruiskade and old historic Delfshaven. So there will be more than enough to see and do in Rotterdam (not even mentioned the zoo, Euromast Tower and other attractions) and due to the good public transport it's also easy to visit other cities nearby.

Edited: 6:36 am, June 08, 2014
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
154 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Concert in Rotterdam

Another option I forgot to mention: take a ferry to Kinderdijk from Rotterdam to visit the windmills.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
42 posts
6. Re: Concert in Rotterdam

If your budget is suitable i'd go for the Bilderberg Park Hotel. It's in the middle of the cultural heart of the city with museums, restaurants and shops nearby while the train station is 5 minutes away. Metro to Ahoy is easy to reach from there as well.

An other option is the recently opened Nhow hotel on the Wilhelminapier. It's a modern hotel with the metro to Ahoy next door. You have a nice rooftop terrace there and the iconic Erasmusbridge is visible from your bedroom window. In the area are good restaurants and otherwise you just take the watertaxi to the Veerhaven, which is on the opposite side of the river, where there's plenty of other good restaurants with an authentic atmosphere.

Other good tourist location is the Oude Haven. This is a bit further away from the direct metroline to Ahoy, but in the heart of the city next to the Cube Houses and soon to be opened Markthal, two iconic projects in the city.

7. Re: Concert in Rotterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 04, 2015