We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive lunch ideas

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 22
inexpensive lunch ideas

We are planning a day trip to Rotterdam. We will do the Splashtour at noon and visit the cube houses afterwards. Does anyone have an advice for a budget lunch?

11 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
1. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

Go to a supermarket and self-cater.

Or buy a sandwich to go somewhere.

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 6
2. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

How about to try some organic Dutch style fries at Pomms. They're on the Coolsingel, right next to Bijenkorf department store and Metro Beurs. Cheap and delicious.

Otherwise there are plenty of lunchrooms where you can just buy a sandwich. Buying some sandwiches at a convenience store or supermarket is probably the cheapest option.

Istanbul, Turkey
3. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

Thank you for the replies..I think we'll try the Pomms'. Dank u :)

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
4. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

Or have the huge mediterranean / middle-eastern breakfast (can also be ordered in the afternoon) at Bazar. Under €10 for egg, Turkish bread, various cheeses, marmelade, yoghurt and fruits, tea/coffee, juice, 1000 hole pancake, honey. Yummmmm

It's also in one of the nicest streets of the whole city (Witte de Withstraat).

Another nice place for lunch is Bagel Bakery but might not be so cheap.

Edited: 6:18 pm, March 18, 2014
Rotterdam, The...
5. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

What's budget to your opinion?

Istanbul, Turkey
6. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

Thank you so much Cecile. That sounds very delicious too. When I checked their (Bazar) web site I found out that they have a turkish menu as well, which was a nice surprise to me.

StijnRdam- i think around 10-20 € would be fine

Edited: 9:33 am, March 19, 2014
Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 7
7. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

If you fancy seafood I reccomend the lunch corner of Schmidt seafood shop, They are not very far located from the Erasmus Bridge. Their fish is of an extraordinary quality and they supply many restaurants in The Netherlands, including the michelin star rated ones.

They have a large choice of sandwiches at very reasonable prices which will fit in your budget and even have money to spare. Mind that they are closed on Sundays.

Rotterdam, The...
8. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

Grand cafe Loos near the Veerhaven offers nice lunches as well. Two doors next to it is Valente, a coffee counter. You should be able to lunch for 10-20 euro's there and the location is great. If you like to have lunch near the cube houses, try Kade 4 or Nielson pain du Villa. It's around the corner and popular among locals.

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 13
9. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

Very Dutch: lunch at La Place, a restaurant in warehouse V&D. It is situated at the end of the Hoogstraat, easy to reach from the cube houses.

On your way you will find more restaurants, including a pancakerestaurant, which is also a very Dutch type of restaurant.

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 96
10. Re: inexpensive lunch ideas

I don't think that La Place is very special, but it indeed is a very well known lunch chain in the Netherlands. I wouldn't recommend it if you would want anything special or local for lunch. If you however decide to go to La Place don't go to the one on top of the V&D building as stated above, but go to the one at the Oude Binnenweg / Binnenwegplein (also right in the city center) which has a nice rooftop terrace (the other one also has one, but I like this one much more). For pictures of this rooftop terrace, check:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118883313@N07/sets/72157643082408875

Opposite this La Place there is a more local lunchroom called Figaro in the Oude Binnenweg. I agree with Cecile that the Bazar is a great place to have lunch! (just order the mezze mix) It's located in the dynamic Witte de With street which you shouldn't skip. I like the Bazar even more for lunch than for dinner (the atmosphere is great, but there dinner dishes aren't that special I think).

About the Turkish restaurants: Rotterdam has plenty of them. Some nice ones: Rokkaa, Zenne & Ottoman Sarnic. (Or Meram, which is a chain, but quite cheap with good food).

Edited: 4:35 pm, March 30, 2014
Reply to: inexpensive lunch ideas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted