We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A five-day trip to Rotterdam

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
HCMC
reviews: 119
A five-day trip to Rotterdam

I'm going to visit my friend in Rotterdam for about five days. I'm considering about where to stay because my friend is staying a quite small apartment so it's not comfortable. My budget is about $100 per day.

Thank you very much.

15 replies to this topic
Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 7
11. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

If your budget is about $100 a day I would reccommend you to stay at the Easy Hotel, bang in the middle of the city centre with the Oude Binneweg nearby for shopping and bars. Check out Broodje A-Kong for a Surinamese breadroll, spicy and tasty. Cross the street and you are in the Witte de Withstraat, a bustling street with a great variety of bars and restaurants, a "must have been" when have visited Rotterdam. Check out bar "De Witte Aap", voted best bar in the world by Lonely Planet a few years ago. From the Easy Hotel the shopping district is just around the corner and public transport is not far away. Central station is 2 stops away by subway lines D and E. The Easy Hotel is a budget hotel for about €60 per night. There are also hostels nearby. One of them is City hostel 010 on the Oude Binnenweg (above Broodje A-Kong) or the Kong Kong hostel on the Witte de withstraat which will open in a few weeks time. Unfortunately I am not yet aware of the rates but surely it must come cheaper than €60.

There is so much to see and so much to do in the city (unlike Mr Grolland from Amsterdam tries to get across) that you might consider to add 5 more days to your stay, and off course you can consider to spend a day in Amsterdam.

New York City, New...
reviews: 1
12. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

I was in Rotterdam 2 weeks ago and I strongly advise you not to stay in Rotterdam for 5 days, that's way too much. Rotterdam is a city you can easily visit and sightsee within one day. Of course Rotterdam has some nice museums, but they are not that special and big. I loved the Da Vinci exhibition, but it was rather small. I believe that exhibition is finished now, but I'm not sure.

So one day will be enough on spending time in Rotterdam museums. Rotterdam has some nice modern architecture which makes a nice skyline. But the city center is not that interesting in terms of vibrance, shopping, architecture and culture. Therefore I do advise you to stay there for one day max and travel to Delft, Harlem for historical architecture and of course cosmopolitan Amsterdam for history, food, culture, shopping and street life.

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 96
13. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

I agree with Tim. There is more than enought you can do in Rotterdam and the surrounding area. So don't believe others who are telling you that a five day trip would be too long.

As said before there are enough interesting museums you can visit, good restaurants to eat at and enough interesting architecture to see and visit (Erasmus Bridge, Lauren's Church, Euromast, Wilhelminapier skyline, the cubic houses (one of which you can enter), Rotterdam Steam Ship etc.). Even though the city center was bombed during WWII there are still some old historic streets and spots you can visit like the Veerhaven, a nice old harbour with old architecture from which you have a stunning view at the skyline on the other side of the river. Also Delfshaven, the Westersingel and Binnenweg offer some historic architecture. I strongly recommend to take a walk alongside the waterfront. It's the ideal way to experience the skyline alongside the river while walking in recently renovated public spaces like the Boompjes, Leuvehoofd and Westerkade which have been turned into little riverside parks. The Witte de With street is a very nice street full of café's and restaurants to enjoy lunch or dinner.

Also consider using the Water Taxi to travel across the water. It's a really nice experience. A harbour tour with the Spido is also highly recommendable if you would like to experience part of the biggest harbour of Europe. Also keep in mind that you can enter the Steam Ship Rotterdam (an old cruise ship at Katendrecht) for free when you want to have drinks on the terrace or in one of the restaurants aboard. The view from the deck of the ship on the city skyline is worth to pay a visit to this attraction, especially when it's sunny. You can also take a tour around the ship itself.

And also keep in mind that Rotterdam is an excellent location to visit other attractions in the area (like Delft, The Hague, Hoek van Holland beach or the windmills in nearby Schiedam). You can easily travel by public transport or take a ferry to the historic city of Dordrecht or the windmills of Kinderdijk which are both nearby. Experiencing the area while travelling aboard such a ferry is a very nice thing to do in itself.

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 3
14. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

@ Dont T True that 5 days in the city is too long. Which it is in almost every city besides cities like New York where even 2 weeks is short. :)

But From Rotterdam it's easy to go to other nice places for a daytrip like Delft, Den Haag, Kinderdijk winmills, Breda and even to Amsterdam or Antwerp if you like. All within less then an hour traveling. And if you want to stay in Amsterdam or Antwerp longer you can consider to combine.

Rotterdam, The...
15. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

For hotels:

- Boutique hotel Quartier du Port is a great place

- CitizenM opened recently and is located near a nice bar/restaurant area

- StayOkay hostel is in the cube houses. A unique location.

Food:

- Westelijk Handelsterrein is a cosy restaurant area with multiple restaurants, but more for mediterranean food.

- Witte de With street area offers multiple Asian restaurants.

Tourist attractions:

- River front offers a great view on the bridges and skyline. Don't forget to take the yellow roofed watertaxi.

- Euromast gives an awesome panorama over the entire city and industrial complex. Visit on a bright day.

- SS Rotterdam is an old cruiseliner where you get a look inside the world back then. Cool to do a lunch or drink a cocktail on the upper deck when it is sunny (too cold for winter).

- Museumpark is where the major museums of the city are located. It is easy to spend one or two days there.

- Wilhelminapier: Hotel New York/photo museum. You can even go to the art house cinema Lantaren/Venster there if you like.

- The cube houses are unique and much loved by tourists.

Edited: 5:48 pm, January 14, 2014
Reply to: A five-day trip to Rotterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted