We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A five-day trip to Rotterdam

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
HCMC
reviews: 119
A five-day trip to Rotterdam

I'm going to visit my friend in Rotterdam for about five days. I'm considering about where to stay because my friend is staying a quite small apartment so it's not comfortable. My budget is about $100 per day.

Thank you very much.

15 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 16
1. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

There are many small guest houses/bed and breakfast options in Rotterdam

If you take a look at the 'Out of Town Excursions' page on my website and look at the Rotterdam section you may find some ideas : freewebs.com/ukbaglady/outoftownexcursions.h…

Happy planning!

:-)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
2. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

Unless you plan on spending time with your friend every day I wouldn't stay in Rotterdam for five days. The city has some attractions but not for five days. You might want to stay in Amsterdam or Delft for example as well.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
3. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

I have to agree with Grolland, that Rotterdam is not the greatest place to spend a full 5 days.

I have a love/hate relationship with the city after having lived there for a few years in the past and still doing a one or more day city trip at least once a year and having family there...

It's quite an ugly and grey city, but has good art museums and street art, some cool modern architecture, some nice streets with funky shops and cafes (Witte de Withstraat.. funny how that has turned from no-go cowboy area in my days, to the popular street it is today), Hotel New York is a nice place to go have lobster or some sweet pie and there are many other great international restaurants... you can tour the harbor by boat... but that would keep you busy two days tops.

More about Rotterdam in this thread: tripadvisor.com/…0

And I'm sure your friend will be able to take you to some of the current cool bars.

Anyway, if you do want to stay in Rotterdam: I really liked "A Small Hotel" in Witte de Withstraat. Comfortable and cozy place with wifi and dvds and ipod dock, breakfast can be brought up (not included), and it's on one of Rotterdams few streets that are really nice. The only thing is it can stay noisy until late. I never mind noise but I'm just mentioning it because I know other people can have trouble sleeping in a bustling street. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188632-d667166…

Another option is to stay in StayOkay hostel, thet have private rooms and are located in the funky 45 degree tilted cubic houses! www.stayokay.com/nl/hostel/rotterdam…

But ehhhm, just how small is that apartment of your friend or what is your friendship like? I've had 3 people staying over on sleeping mats in my previous studio of about 36m2 / 350sq ft.

I'd recommend renting a bike, Rotterdam is easy to get around in by bike. Simple straight roads mostly, seperate bike lanes, bike traffic lights... The only road you might get confused on is Nieuwe Binnenweg and Mathenesserlaan, just look at a map how they run parallel, then intersect, then keep running parallel but the other way around (messing with your sense of direction, especially if you turned left or right at that intersection). ;-) By the way Nieuwe Binnenweg is quite nice as well, lots of bars and some nice shops.

If you want to stay in a prettier city then I think Grolland's suggestion of Delft is good; there are short train rides and I believe even a tram connection.

www.9292.nl/en will help you find public transport between any two places in the Netherlands, you can enter street addresses or station names or even museum names and such. And you can click to see maps of the bits you may need to walk.

Or of course you could decide to stay in Amsterdam, there are fast trains twice an hour (40 minutes) which require a special ticket, and slower trains (70 minutes) more frequently.

Have fun,

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 7:54 am, January 08, 2014
HCMC
4. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

Woww, thank you very much for a lot of useful information :) My friend has told me that he would introduce me some interesting places to discover Rotterdam in two days, so maybe we will visit Amsterdam city for my trip :).

So how about the tram from Rotterdam to Amsterdam? Does it take a long period of time to travel? :)

And how about the food? Can you introduce me some kind of delicious food? Thank you very much!!!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
5. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

You need to take the train not the tram

See http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home for schedules

fastest train is the IC Direct which takes 42 mins

What kind of food do you look for?

HCMC
6. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

Ya I love the hot food with vegetable like hot pot. Anywhere?

And I've heard that Rotterdam is about 12 degree, will it be colder in the end of this Jan?

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
7. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

Info about the various trains between Amsterdam and Rotterdam in my earlier reply #3. And about public transport in the entire country.

For food in Rotterdam:

- Tai Wu real Chinese food, lots of Chinese eat there too

- Opa, Dutch and French cuisine, friendly service

- Bazar, middle eastern and mediterranean food (Bazar can also be found in Amsterdam)

- Hotel New York, beautiful restaurant in old industrial building with tall ceiling

More ideas here: http://www.iens.nl/restaurant/rotterdam > the 0-10 score should tell you something about quality.

Edited: 1:18 pm, January 09, 2014
Rotterdam, The...
8. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

There is a lot to do in Rotterdam. The city has a modern centre and is surrounded by old dutch style city areas full of history. Visit the Euromast and you will see that 5 days isn't enough to see the whole metropolitan area, it's big.

Visit the Wereldmuseum and Delfshaven, visit the centre and the classic area's around it. The underground/subway, trams, watertaxi's will get you anywhere fast.

Here the link of thins to do in the city.

http://en.rotterdam.info/visitors/

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 3
9. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

If you're interested in the museums as well you can easily spend 3 or 4 days in Rotterdam (opposite to what our Amsterdam friends tell you ;)). Rotterdam has many fashionable neighbourhoods and loads of good places to eat and drink, and lacks for the most part the 'tourist trash' you find in tourist cities like Amsterdam or Brugge. But a daytrip to Delft, Den Haag or even Amsterdam is easy since it's all nearby.

For food some tips: Bij Bao (Chinese) or Gamasot (Korean) in Pannekoekstraat (many nice restaurants in that street), Deli Bird (Thai) at Deliplein or Ono on Wilhelminapier (Madonna was there last week!). Or else you can find many good places in Witte de Withstraat. Other must do: Rotown at Nieuwe Binnenweg, for a drink but they also have a very good restaurant!

bridgnorth
10. Re: A five-day trip to Rotterdam

Check out the Maritime Hotel for somewhere inexpensive to stay. Beside the river, a 3/4 minute walk from the main metro line(five minute train ride to the centre), twenty minutes walk to the Central Station. They have perfectly comfortable en suite single rooms and breakfast is included in the price.

Reply to: A five-day trip to Rotterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted