We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

My partner and I are taking a train from Antwerp to Amsterdam and have the option of stopping in Rotterdam. Just curious how long is a good time to see a few things around the central train station area? Im a curious bugger and feel that I will need to get out of the train and have a quick look around.

Obviously its not a very long time to 'experience' a city, but its the best we can do, and sort of a last minute idea that we had. Would 3-4 hours be enough time? Is it even worth getting off the train just for the sake of a few hours, or should we just spend more time in Amsterdam (there for 3 days).

11 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 130
1. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

Hi there,

The station has lockers, and the town has enough nice things to see. However close to the station is mainly the start of the shopping area, but the real fun IMHO starts closer to the port - e.g. boat trips. Hence you'd also need to use metro or tram in town.

Yes, 3-4 hours is enough for the boat ride and a brief walk around.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 69
2. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

Just stay on the train and get to Amsterdam as soon as you can unless you like modern architecture. Why don't you just use Google map Street View and walk around before you get there to see what to expect.

I think curiosity will kill the cat here.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
3. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

Plenty of nice things to see, and many cool cafes and restaurants. Do not expect to see a picturesque old city. And know where you're going; inbetween the cool bits it's an ugly city.

You could do / see:

- do the Spido harbor tour through one of the world's biggest harbors

- see the 45 degree tilted cubic houses, one is open as a museum for only €2.50, it's fun to see how they manage to furnish the weird spaces …rotterdam.info/visitors/…

- take the water taxi from Leuvehaven (or from the Spido starting point) to Hotel New York

- have "Tompouce" pastry or coffee / snacks at Hotel New York industrial but cozy grand cafe

- visit Fotomuseum very close to Hotel New York

- walk back via Erasmus bridge, great views

- walk through Witte de Withstraat full of funky shops and cafes and restaurants, have dinner at Bazar or Opa

There are trains to Amsterdam until late, even night trains once an hour the entire night, so you could enjoy one of the many good restaurants in Rotterdam.

You could take trams, or rent bikes from the station and get around Rotterdam like the locals do. It's a straightforward city for cycling with seperate bike lanes and easy streets (not circular like in Amsterdam). Just get a free map at the info point inside Rotterdam Central Station.

Have fun!

Cecilia

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 4:04 am, September 30, 2013
Melbourne
4. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

Awesome help cheers to all.

Feedback has me thinking to stay on the train and spend more time in Amsterdam, just doesnt quite sound like it's what we are looking for. Seen enough harbours etc before, and more interested in old classical pretty cities.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
5. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

In that case you may want to get off in Leiden for a quick stroll. Very pretty, and less tourists.

London, United...
reviews: 411
6. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

Leiden or Delft would be ideal to walk around. They are not big but picturesque and historical. I did both cities in one day though. They are more interesting than Rotterdam.

Rotterdam, The...
7. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

If you have a short period of time in Rotterdam and want to see old Rotterdam I'd recommend to walk out of the station and keep walking in a straight line towards the south. You'll pass water, old houses and after 15 minutes hit the Museum quarter where you can choose the kind of museum you like. Booijmans & van Beuningen and the Kunsthal are the well known museums, but there's more smaller ones nearby. If you're done, there's the Witte de Withstraat nearby with restaurants, bars and some galleries to finish your day. If there's time left you can go to the Scheepvaartkwartier (5min walk or 1 stop by tram) where the majestic houses of the old port bosses are situated with a cosy harbor, the Worldmuseum and the option to take a watertaxi to Hotel New York or the SS Rotterdam. This is what I normally do with guests and they always enjoy it a lot.

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 89
8. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

That's indeed a nice route to walk straight from the railway station south over the Westersingel (which still has some historic houses, but also some modern architecture like De Calypso) to the historic Veerhaven (also called Scheepvaartkwartier by StijnRdam). Just walking around over there, having dinner and maybe crossing the bridge towards the Wilhelminapier might be enough for you when you only visit the city in such a short amount of time. But you'll get a nice impression of this interesting city.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
9. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

Hey Rotterdam guys, I know you 'massively' sign-up from that other forum in order to promote your city on TA and that's all swell.

But the question here is from september. These guys probably have been in Rotterdam already long time ago....

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 4
10. Re: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam

:-) LOL . I think some of my fellow citizens are a bit too enthousiastic.

Reply to: Stop over in Rotterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted