We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels close to cruise ships

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cooper City, Florida
Hotels close to cruise ships

My wife and I will be taking a cruise out of Rotterdam at the end of September. We would like some recommendations on hotels that are in close proximity to the port. We only need it for one night, and would prefer something reasonable, but clean, decent, and in a safe area where we can walk. A few months ago, someone on this sight recommended the Tulip hotel, which might be just fine. But we are open to maybe another suggestion or two. Again, we don't want to stress getting to the port the following day. Any suggestions out there?

9 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 130
1. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

Hi there,

Tulip Inn is nice yes, Maritime hotel is nextdoor and similar, and Inntel is one star higher. The top notch is hotel New York which _is_ at the terminal and is the king of the harbour. Hotel SS Rotterdam also is an option to 'acclimatise' already, it's a former cruiseliner itself; one bus ride and then 2 metro stops from the cruise jetty.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Cooper City, Florida
2. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

Great! I'm glad that you mentioned these other hotels too. Is that area a good place to stay overnight? Is there interesting places close by walking distance? Someone from another travel site suggested that we stay in a hotel close to the main rail station. Perhaps there is more to see in a walking distance from there, I don't know. But after traveling on a plane all night to London, and then catching another flight to Rotterdam, RTM, we may not have a lot of energy anyway. We will only be in this city for 24 hours, before getting on the cruise ship. I haven't had time to research this and hope to stay in a hotel in an area that makes sense. Is it your opinion that staying in one of the hotels you mentioned to be the best option for this brief stay?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 130
3. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

Hi again,

Inntel just like Tulip Inn and Maritime is at the southern edge of the shopping district. Station is at the northern edge. Would not give the station area any edge ;-) over the south, both have some entertainment and shops near but both are 5-10 mins walk from the real heart of that.

New York hotel and SS Rotterdam hotel are isolated by nature. Situated in interesting nautic areas for sure but not much in terms of entertainment and shops. And both with harbour views to die for. Locating them on Google Maps should give you an idea.

All the best.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Cooper City, Florida
4. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

Erik, Thanks for the helpful information. I guess it makes sense to stay on the southern end, being that we will be close to the cruise port for the following day.

Regards,

Phil J

Rotterdam, The...
reviews: 59
5. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

Basically, It doesn't matter all that much, because Rotterdam is fairly small. Tulip inn etc are just across the bridge from the cruise terminal, hotels around the railwaystation take only a couple of metrostops from the cruise terminal. I would advise the SS Rotterdam. because it's a bit remote of you want to visit the city. The cruiseterminal is more or less in the city centre. Wilhelminaplein metro- and tramstops serve the cruiseterminal

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
6. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

Several friends of mine have stayed at Hotel New York and loved it. I often go there for food, drinks, snacks and their delicious 'tompouce' pastry. It's a beautiful old building and charmingly decorated.

SS Rotterdam also looks pretty cool but I don't know if you want to sleep on a cruise ship *before* going on a cruise. :-)

There are several restaurants, a cinema, a theater and a photo museum right in that area and I am surprised that people make it sound like such an isolated place. Okay, there are no shops but you can take the water taxi to Leuvehaven and you're right in the center, or a tram or metro, or walk across the Erasmus bridge which gives you spectacular views. This would be a cool walk in the dark as well with the bridge lines lit up.

My favorite street in Rotterdam is Witte de Withstraat full of international and funky restaurants, and cool shops.

I lived at two places near the station and for me as a student with a bike it was convenient but there is nothing appealing about that area per se.

More Rotterdam tips in this thread: tripadvisor.com/…0

Edited: 5:20 am, September 27, 2013
reviews: 17
7. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

Hi!

We are doing the same thing in January except we actually have 2 days in Rotterdam.

I would love to hear Where you ended up staying and how it was?

Please let me know.

Thank you

Christian

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
8. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

Poor lady maui, since the OP has not been activate since before their trip it would probably be best to send them a private message. That way TA will send them an email which might help getting a faster response.

Rotterdam, The...
9. Re: Hotels close to cruise ships

I'd try hotels in the 'Scheepvaartkwartier'. It's one of the upmarket neighbourhoods in the city, just across the cruise terminal. It has great allure, good restaurants, the Worldmuseum (Wereldmuseum) nearby and a cosy atmosphere. The cruise terminal is just opposite on the river so easy to reach with taxi or watertaxi. Taking the yellow roofed watertaxi from 'Veerhaven' to 'Hotel New York' (or opposite) is fun to do and brings you in no time nearby the cruise terminal.

Nhow just opened recently next to the terminal, this could be your option as well for a night in Rotterdam.

Reply to: Hotels close to cruise ships
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted