We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotterdam Central station questions

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
Rotterdam Central station questions

Hello

Please help me with the following questions:

1. Is it possible to purchase a train ticket to at the station to Schiphol airport at the machines or do we need to wait in line for our number to be called at the counter service?

2. If we can use the machines do they only accept credit cards with a chip? can we use euros?

3. is there a discount for passengers of 60 years?

4. Do the machines offer an English option?

thank you so much

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 146
1. Re: Rotterdam Central station questions

Hi there,

Will try...

1] The counter service does not work with numbers for domestic tickets, just queues. But theoretically you CAN also use the machines yes...

2] Which, unlike all machines at Schiphol and the odd one at Amsterdam Centraal, do not accept cc, sorry. Maestro debit cards, local Dutch debit cards and the odd one even coins (!) but none banknotes...

3] Not for tourists. Locals can buy a discount card for off-peak and those of 60+ can again buy a slightly better discount card.

4] Yes, that at least is on all NS machines.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Rotterdam Central station questions

Thank you... your information was helpful.

1. If we take the metro from Wilheimakade station to Rotterdam Central is there a ticket machine or someone in a ticket kiosk so that we can make our purchase?

2. I assume we need coins (3 euro for each ticket)?

3. We arrive around 7 am will the service ticket office be open in the Rotterdam Central station for us to purchase our tickets to the airport?

thank you again

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
3. Re: Rotterdam Central station questions

Hi again,

1./2. Yes a machine. And those ones generally also accept credit card (with chip) and some even banknotes, RET and GVB are much better in this than Dutch rail.

3. Yes should be open, they're open as long as trains depart.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

bridgnorth
4. Re: Rotterdam Central station questions

A few weeks ago at Schiphol there was only a five minute queue when I used the ticket counter (costs an extra 50 cents per ticket). If you know when you are returning from Rotterdam buy that ticket at the same time. It could save time at Rotterdam ,where the ticket office sells international train tickets , which can be time consuming if there are a number of international customers in front of you.

There is a RET ticket kiosk on the metro level beneath the Rotterdam Central Station. As suggested above easy and helpful.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Rotterdam Central station questions

Thank you both for the advice. I was told by someone else that I can not buy advance tickets... but if I can then I will just do so upon arrival in Amsterdam.

Thank you again.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
6. Re: Rotterdam Central station questions

Well indeed you almost can't get UNdated advance tickets anymore, too much abuse. But DATED advance ones yes, upto 30 days ahead, have replaced them. That's why it was written "If you know when you are returning from Rotterdam"...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

7. Re: Rotterdam Central station questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 28, 2014