We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in Rotterdam

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
reviews: 1
weekend in Rotterdam

We fly to Rotterdam this w/e of 26th April, mainly to catch the JP Gaultier fab exhibition at the Kunsthal Museum. It will be a first for all of us to Rotterdam, tho we are travellers and exploratory! We is me, my g'friend, her daughter and boyfriend (early 20's). All quite arty, andt keen on adventures,..... with relaxation here and there! Staying in humble spot and not loaded with cash sadly!

The waterways and park sound nice, if sunny. And have heard of a tiny beach within the city you can get to. Does everyone really eat pancakes? is the central market fun and is there anything special on that weekend? music pehaps? SHould we get a travel or other pass for 2 1/2 days. I do have a diamond I was hoping to have assessed, but maybe only in Amsterdam!?

Look forward to your replies(?) and will tell you about Bristol should you want to hear some time.

Susie

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
1. Re: weekend in Rotterdam

I heard the Gaultier exhibition is indeed fabulous. A colleague of mine loved it.

I lived in Rotterdam for a few years but nowadays I only visit a few times a year and I'm not sure if the tiny beach you're talking about is at the foot of Erasmus bridge (center-side)... it might be.

I can't help you with the diamond and travel passes. There is a helpful tourist info centre on Hofplein.

The market on Blaak is quite nice, and the popular restaurant Happy Italy on that square has really good Italian food and friendly service for low prices. There are queues but it moves fast enough to wait.

As far as I know, people sometimes eat pancakes :-), it's more of a children's dish. You may also like the tiny versions called 'poffertjes'.

Some other things you might enjoy doing / visiting:

- Visit Witte de Withstraat full of funky shops and nice cafes and restaurants. For example Bazaar is nice for breakfast, lunch, dinner or drinks. It has Arab / mediterranean atmosphere and food. There is a huge (and affordable) breakfast with Turkish bread and all kinds of toppins, grapes, cheeses, Arab pancake, honey etc. But smaller breakfasts too. Toko94 also has very good food (Asian and Carribean).

- Have breakfast at Bagel Bakery in Schilderstraat

- Do a Spido boat tour through one of the world's biggest harbours

- Take a watertaxi from Leuvehaven to Hotel New York, and walk back using the impressive Erasmus bridge (or the other way around). Hotel New York is a popular restaurant in an old industrial building that serves seafood but also good cakes/pastries such as the typically Dutch 'tompouce'. If there are queues you can skip those by sitting at the bar (if you don't mind not sitting at a table). It's in a funky area of old warehouses and you may see a few industrial ships.

- Visit Fotomuseum near Hotel New York. I like it better than the one called FOAM in Amsterdam.

- In the evening perhaps go to a cinema.

- Eat Indonesian food at Restaurant Indonesia, on Rodezand. 'Rijsttafel' (litterally: rice table) is something from Dutch colonial times and consists of many small dishes, I suppose it could be compared to tapas only with Indonesian flavours. Delicious!

- Eat real Chinese food at a restaurant frequented by many Chinese (and some Dutch), restaurant Tai Wu, Mauritsweg.

- Go abseiling off Euromast

IENS may help you find other nice restaurants. www.iens.nl/restaurant/rotterdam

Rotterdam also has a useful iPhone app called Rotterdam Info, including 'What's On' and maps. And I believe the whole city has free wifi (with free login), but not sure if it really works for everyone.

And this is an excellent website for finding the little secret cool spots known by the locals: http://www.spottedbylocals.com/rotterdam/

With regards to bars and nightlife.... I used to live there a long time ago and Rotown and Westerpaviljoen were my favourite places, but it's probably better to google for the current hot spots or check the 'spottedbylocals' website I just mentioned. This might also help: http://www.djguide.nl/

Amsterdam is only an hour's train ride away but Rotterdam has enough to offer to keep you busy for 2.5 days.

Have fun!

Cecilia

http://cile.home.xs4all.nl/

Edited: 5:09 pm, April 22, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
2. Re: weekend in Rotterdam

Oh - I forgot to mention the weird cubic houses near the market! It only costs EUR 2.50 to visit one that is open as a 'museum' and is really nice to see from the inside.

https://www.google.nl/search…

Bristol, United...
3. Re: weekend in Rotterdam

Many thanks Celia for taking so much trouble with details for us!......I might take my bathers even! And the NY hotel location sounds good for eats,a wander and the Foto museum. Susie

Amsterdam, The...
4. Re: weekend in Rotterdam

You're welcome and have fun!

By the way, bikes are a good way of getting around.

bridgnorth
5. Re: weekend in Rotterdam

Superb information from Cecile; if it helps you can get a three day RET pass for the metro and trams , at the metro kiosk on the bottom floor/metro entrance at the Central Station.

The sailing barges at Delfthaven ( ten minutes on the metro) are worth a look.

Bristol, United...
6. Re: weekend in Rotterdam

yes,we'll follow a lot of your suggestions...thanks so much Celia almost as good as a Rough Guide!

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: weekend in Rotterdam

Correction: the Rotterdam VVV tourist info bureau is no longer on Hofplein but on Coolsingel 195. http://goo.gl/maps/RwCyq

8. Re: weekend in Rotterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 24, 2014