We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Utrecht to Amsterdam

Which Utrecht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tbilisi, Georgia
From Utrecht to Amsterdam

Hello,

Is it possible to live in Amsterdam and study in Utrecht and travel every day from Amsterdam to Utrecht and back? As much as I understand, the train costs 12.10 both routes, so monthly I have to pay over 250 euros. Are there any student discounts? Is the every-day travelling too exhausting?

5 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
1. Re: From Utrecht to Amsterdam

Hi there,

Well it's 14.40 euro return now Amsterdam Centraal from Utrecht. No student discounts, people studying here with normal government scholarships (well partly loan-based now) get a free railway pass also but foreign students not certain. Not that tiring, 30 mins only with 4 x per hour direct train.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Groningen, The...
reviews: 304
2. Re: From Utrecht to Amsterdam

If your studying in the University of Utrecht then note that many of the departments are located in the Uithof, which is quite a long way from the city centre. In this case you will also have to allow for the time to travel inside Utrecht. You can get to the Uithof by taking bus 11 or 12 from Central Station.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 72
3. Re: From Utrecht to Amsterdam

A monthly ticket is € 226,40 for unlimited travel. You might need a Dutch bank account for this though. You can also get a discount card but again Dutch account needed.

I used to live in Amsterdam and travel to Hilversum every day. Good time to catch a nap or do some studying/reading. I think most of the trains now have free wi-fi on them now.

Utrecht is also a nice place to live so I would not rule out staying there. How long will you be in NL for?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam
reviews: 1
4. Re: From Utrecht to Amsterdam

The travel time is not too much but it also depends from / to which exact address you travel.

If you travel off-peak hours you can get a kortingskaart for 50 euros yearly (29 euros first year) and receive 40% discount on indivual train tickets.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
5. Re: From Utrecht to Amsterdam

Yes but that card requires Dutch address (even a temp one) _and_ bank account. The latter is a lot harder to get, though some people manage with a card on a local friends address/account...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Reply to: From Utrecht to Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Utrecht