We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotterdam - Utrecht 4 day trip

Which Utrecht hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Rotterdam - Utrecht 4 day trip

Dear All,

For the last week of August, I am considering a 4 night trip. The basic iternary is arrive in Rotterdam on Monday afternoon, a day trip to Utrecht on Tuesday, and then 2 full days in Rotteram before returning home. For my day trip in Utrecht, I hope to cover both the Cathedral and Schroder House and hopefully one more attraction (time permitting). I am travelling alone, just want to make some good constructive use of some annual leave I must use, so trying to keep the costs to a minimal, hence only the 4 nights rather then a full week.

1) Will 2.5 half days in Rotterdam be enough to cover 'most' of the main sites?

2) What is the best way (good comprimise between costs and speed) to get to Utrecht? According to rail europe, I can get a £18 return ticket with travel duration 38 mins.

3) Is there any days in the week where I shoudl avoid visiting certain attractions for both cities?

Any other advice / guidance about my trip will be much apprciated, thank you!

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Rotterdam - Utrecht 4 day trip

1) I think so, though I'm no expert on Rotterdam. You better ask in their forum.

2) The train is definitely the best option to travel between Rotterdam and Utrecht. A return ticket (to be used at the same day) will cost you 18,60 euro and intercity trains depart every 15 minutes in both directions. Two single tickets will (to be used on separate days) will also cost you a total of 18,60 by the way. Single day return tickets used to be cheaper than two single tickets, but they aren't anymore. The journey will take you 38 minutes indeed.

3) If you can I'd suggest you avoid the weekends to visit the tourist attractions. But don't fear if you have no other choice; you will still be able to enjoy them. The Dom Cathedral has services on Sunday so I'm not sure whether you can visit all the time. The Dom Tower climb is extremely popular and I'd suggest you book your ticket first thing if you're visiting during the weekend. You can buy tickets at their ticket shop on the Dom Square (unfortunately, you cannot do this online). I remember that a couple of years ago we arrived at the Dom somewhere after noon (on a Saturday) and we were only able to buy tickets for the very last climb of that day (somewhere around 16:30 or something).

The Schroder House is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so if you really want to see this place you will have to delay your trip to Utrecht. The house is also very popular but you can (no, you must) reserve a ticket in advance online. You will have to do this through the website of the Centraal Museum in Utrecht. The ticket entitles you to a visit to the Central Museum, the dick bruna house and the Rietveld Schroder House. You cannot buy separate tickets for these 3 attractions. Go to this website (in English) to get more info and make a reservation: centraalmuseum.nl/en/…

Edited: 2:23 pm, July 06, 2012
malta
2. Re: Rotterdam - Utrecht 4 day trip

we are a family of 2 adults & 2 children & are trying to find accommodation - quadruple rooms in utrecht - any suggestions? We have not found any so far!! We shall be travelling by car so we would prefer not to stay in the centre in order to have easy access to the motorway (to travel to other destinations) and prefer not to drive in the city. please advise

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Rotterdam - Utrecht 4 day trip

I don't think there are any quadruple rooms in Utrecht. Beurs Hotel (small hotel on the edge of town) used to have a studio-apartment but I can't find it on there website anymore. You'd likely have to go with 2 double rooms.

Delft, The...
4. Re: Rotterdam - Utrecht 4 day trip

Hotel Mitland has a family room and is on the outskirts of Utrecht:

http://www.mitland.nl/home_e.htm

5. Re: Rotterdam - Utrecht 4 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Utrecht