We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel out of Amersfoort

Which Amersfoort hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Travel out of Amersfoort

I would be in Amersfoort for 3 days as my husband is attending a meeting and I'll be free in the day. Any good suggestions on how I can kill time there? Should I make day trips out of Amersfoort? Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 129
1. Re: Travel out of Amersfoort

Hi there,

Plenty of options by train. I'd pick on one day Harderwijk and Zwolle, both on same train ticket and both having interesting old city centres. On another day Apeldoorn, with e.g. HetLoo royal palace and Apenheul zoo. Next to this Utrecht is an option, nice city centre, canal boat and shopping too.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
2. Re: Travel out of Amersfoort

I live in Amersfoort :-) It's a lovely town.

To some extent any advice depends on where you are based. All of the main hotels, with the exception of the NH are in the sprawling suburbs. To be frank these are uninteresting.

The old centre on the other hand is well worth visiting for a day or two in its own right. With well preserved medieval architecture there are many places to visit and things to do. The restaurants and bars in there are top notch.

As far as day trips out go the obvious choice, as Erik has stated, is Utrecht. This is just 15 minutes by train. Central Amsterdam is only 30 mins away as well. Other advice would depend somewhat on your interests.

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Travel out of Amersfoort

Thanks, really appreciate all the suggestions.

Reply to: Travel out of Amersfoort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amersfoort