We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in the region

London, United...
reviews: 16
3 days in the region

Hi we are driving from london and have 3 days in this region. We needed info about where to stay, which are prettiest towns around. Urk, Emmelrood or Zwolle . What would you recommend. We def want to see giethroon. We are looking for small , charming towns and looking forward for our second trip to netherlands. Await your response. Thanks

Edited: 5:15 pm, July 21, 2012
5 replies to this topic
netherlands
reviews: 3
1. Re: 3 days in the region

When visiting Urk and Emmeloord (which doesn't have much to offer) at least you should visit the former island of Schokland with its museum.

(flickr.com/photos/…set-72157629947120627)

Around Zwolle I would concentrate on a couple of smaller cities: Hasselt, Blokzijl, Vollenhove and Kampen - visit the cigar factory: members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1c6c7b/.

When visiting Giethoorn I also would recommend nearby Dwarsgracht, which in my opinion is much more authentic and less touristy.

(members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/144e00/)

happy travels

Jaap

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
2. Re: 3 days in the region

Zwolle itself is a lovely town, well worth exploring. I'm there at this very moment.

If you can find the Librije Hotel, ask at reception if you can have a look around. It is the former womens prison now turned into a super delux hotel. They have preserved some of the cells.

London, United...
3. Re: 3 days in the region

Thank you for your replies. Will stay in Utrecht for a night and two nights in zwolle. Will try nearby towns. Thanks again.

London, United...
4. Re: 3 days in the region

Thanks people. Awesome time in netherlands. Zwolle was amazing and managed to see giethroon. Absolutely brilliant. Would be back soon. Thanks again for your info

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
reviews: 485
5. Re: 3 days in the region

You really like Zwolle that much? Funny. We just spent 3 nights in Kampen and day tripped to most of your locations. Zwolle was our first stop and it wasn't so great we thought. Nice but just okay. Giethoorn was interesting and packed, Urk was a waste of time. Blokzijl is an absolutely lovely village and so picturesque.

Kampen is alright, certainly more scenic, right on the Ijssel River, than Zwolle, but fairly small. Great restaurants though! We also hit Zutphen for 1/2 day and thoroughly enjoyed that town. In fact, we've aready booked for next year in Zutphen and Kampen (will use Kampen as a base to re-visit Elburg and Bloksijl, and go to Hasselt).

Lovely part of the country, isn't it? Most of us tourists never see those regions.

Reply to: 3 days in the region
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Overijssel Province