We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volendam is dump.

Which Volendam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 44
Volendam is dump.

This place is dump and Holland tourism must take it off the tourist map in its current form. The past glory of fishermen village is no where to be seen while shops including restaurants on Harbour are extortionatly big rip off. Won't recommend this as part of a countryside trip from Amsterdam.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: Volendam is dump.

Hi there,

Suggest you add a review here

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188599-d2…

As you're not alone, but still apparently a minority. Some people like campy places like this and others don't...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Zeeuws Vlaanderen
reviews: 5
2. Re: Volendam is dump.

In the Netherlands very touristy places all over the world are described as "the Volendam of ###".

But I don't understand what you mean with "Holland tourism must take it off the tourist map in its current form". Volendam is as it is, and I don't think it has an official place on an official tourist map. If you go on holiday, it is always a good idea to make informed decisions of what places to visit or not. Even the reviews on TA give a very good idea of what the place is like. There are still some fishing villages along the IJsselmeer which are unspoiled. And even though time hasn't stood still there, those places don't feel like a tourist trap. My advice is to go to Edam, Hoorn or Enkhuizen. And another tip, the whole of the Netherlands can be explored using Google Earth's Streetview. It will give you a pretty good idea how the area is like.

London
reviews: 35
3. Re: Volendam is dump.

To be fair, I don't think Volendam and the Dutch tourism organisations claim it to be anything other than a tourist attraction.

There are certainly nicer places to visit though, I was very taken with Enkhuizen which is easy to get to by train from Amsterdam.

London, United...
reviews: 29
4. Re: Volendam is dump.

I would not agree. While it is a very touristy place, if you ventured beyond Haven, you would have seen a different Volendam. We loved it so much, we stayed here for a couple of months. Depends on your age, depends on what you are looking for, and how long you are here for, but you can't beat the views and the slow life you can enjoy here. So for your demographic/ duration, it did not work, but does not mean it's not a nice place to view for other people.

5. Re: Volendam is dump.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, September 29, 2014