We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haarlem to Den Haag

Which Haarlem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 2
Haarlem to Den Haag

We wish to make a day trip from Haarlem to Den Haag to visit the Louwman Car Museum. What are my public transportation options? Which is more direct? Least expensive? And which takes the least amount of time? Thank you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 68
1. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

9292.nl/en will give you all the info you need. In reality you will need to take the train to Den Haag then either a cab ride or bus.

www.louwmanmuseum.nl/asp/appmain.asp…

Oregon
reviews: 15
2. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

Ron's given you great advice too, but I'll just chime in to say, if you don't want to take the bus, if the weather is nice, it's a beautiful 25 minute (for fit, healthy people) from Den Haag Centraal station through the lovely Haagse Bos park to the Louwman. You'll likely pass the former Queen's residence too. And sometimes the walk can time out less than public transit options (unless you choose a taxi maybe.) Google can help you with the route. You can also walk one way and then take the bus back to Centraal (watch the timings of those buses, the 90 has something like a once an hour schedule, but there are other buses from that same stop, which is very close to the museum--look for the garden center to locate the stops--that run more frequently to/from Centraal. There's an electronic board at the stops telling you how long until the next bus. IIRC, the Louwman site only mentions the number 90.) Note on DH Centraal--it's under some serious construction. Leave yourself a few minutes to navigate the current conditions. The bus platform, as well as some of the trams, is elevated from the main floor of the station. There are often extra uniformed staff about to help people. Make use of them and it will save you time.

The Louwman is fantastic! I'm not even really a car person, and I still had a great time. Beautiful building, exceptional lay out and presentation, fabulous collection. BUT--it's absolutely HUGE and not just from needing space for the cars. We spent 4 hours and still had to skip or hurry through some parts. Although I suppose this depends on how you like to move through a museum. We don't spend great amounts of time contemplating every little thing, but we do like to do more than simply walk by things. I wish we'd gone early in the day, wandered the first half, stopped for lunch in the cafe (which is good and sits in an area decorated like an old street) and then gone back for the second half after lunch.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 48
3. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

Mongrelmuppet, you forgot to type the essential word! 25 minute.... bike ride? Walk? Convertible car rental ride? ;-)

Edited: 6:28 am, June 23, 2013
California
4. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

Thank you all for your input. Cecile74, it doesn't matter whether mongrelmuppet was referring to walking, cycling, or rollerblading - we are, unfortunately, not "fit, healthy" people, so I am seriously considering taking a taxi. Are taxis easily found at the station and how much should I expect to pay for a ride to the museum?

Oregon
5. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

My apologies! I was typing on a device with an unfamiliar keyboard and I was rushing out the door to the beer festival in Delft today. It should say WALK through the park. It appears that won't work for the original poster, however. I'm sorry I can't give advice on taxis, though. I've never needed to take one locally.

One other detail about the Louwman I can offer: there are plenty of comfortable seating options as you move through the place. My father in law was with us on our last visit, and he needs to sit regularly in between bursts of activity. It was nice that they provided enough places and they weren't too crowded.

California
6. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

That's good information about the museum seating. I am in the same situation as your father-in-law. I can walk, but require frequent rests. Thank you. I am looking forward to our trip.

Oregon
7. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

I hope you enjoy the museum as much as we and our friends and family have. We did find it worth the hassle to get there.

Not to keep banging on about the walk through the park, because you know best what you like and are capable of doing comfortably, but just in case anyone else is following this thread & for future reference, I'd like to clarify something further. The 25 minute walk is the time I'd estimate for people who are used to walking and at a medium, not too rushed pace and via a fairly direct route. Once in the park, the surfaces are flat and are groomed gravel/crushed shell pathways or (mostly) smooth brick and some sidewalks in certain areas. There are quite a few spots in clearings with benches and picnic tables (watch out for animal mess underfoot in some areas.) In front of the gates of the former Queen's residence, is a nice open to the public formal garden-like area with lots of benches. My father in law was able to make the walk, just more slowly and with a rest stop or two. (And we saw at least two families pushing older relatives in wheelchairs as well.) But then, my husband and I are familiar with the park and the route and knew where he could sit and how not to get "lost" on the way and could avoid any accidental extra walking. For us, that day, the timing worked out better to walk one way and then take the bus back to Centraal Station.

I hope someone else can help you with the taxi details, though. Sometimes that is the best option for your needs and timing.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 68
8. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

I must take a trip to this museum. Sounds nice.

Oregon
9. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

I'm not sure how long TA has had it listed as the #1 attraction in The Hague, but it's a ranking I'd mostly agree with. The only caveats being the location is not the easiest access (at least by public transport--I don't drive here and have never been there by car. I understand from others that it does have good parking.) and it is on the "specialty" side of museums. (It also isn't on the Museumkaart and it is about E13.50 for entry.) Besides all the other good things I've previously mentioned, it's well-labeled and fully explained in English as well as Dutch. You can get close enough to the displays to see them very well. It's well-lit to show things off too. The historical progression of automobile evolution and creativity/craftsmanship is interesting in and of itself, even if cars are not your favorite thing. If you're a fan of Art Deco advertising artwork, there's also a room full of car-themed posters. Plus other car-themed art pieces and memoribilia that break up the long progression of the vehicles themselves. The recommended route is to go all the way to the top and then work your way down. The average visit seems to be something like 4 hours. The designers and curators of this place genuinely deserve the praise you'll see in the reviews. I doubt you'd regret going, RonaldoC.

10. Re: Haarlem to Den Haag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 26, 2014