We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a fear of public transport!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
I have a fear of public transport!

Hi there, was looking for a bit of advice. Just booked a 4 night break to Amsterdam for my boyfriends birthday. Its not until the end of April, but already I am worrying about the Trams. Our B&B is next to the Vondelpark and we're going to have to take a tram into town (so i've been told). I was just wondering what they are like? Regular? Crowded? Easy to get lost? Any advice would be much appreciated xxx

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 7
1. Re: I have a fear of public transport!

First of all, Vondelpark is IN town. You will not NEED to ride the tram if you don't wish...but it will increase your walking times. It might take 30 minutes of walking from Centraal Station to your B&B. It would be about a 10 minutre tram ride. I don't find that a big deal as walking is my preferred method of transportation when traveling. Vondelpark is great to walk through and offers some of the best people watching in Amsterdam. Of course, you could always rent bikes...

The trams themselves vary..crowded sometimes...depending on the line and time of day...Are you south of the park?...The 5 tram can get very crowded...but the ride is very quick from/to Leidseplein. They are extremely regular..and pretty easy to use...ALL conductors have excellent English. Study the maps before you go...you can't get lost, just misplaced for a few minutes...

If you do choose to ride the trams...I recommend you use the strippenkart and remember, board at the rear.

Canada
reviews: 6
2. Re: I have a fear of public transport!

Hi ruby, no need to be afraid, check out:

www.holland.com/amsterdam/gb

a I amsterdam card may also be good for you, they are good for 24 / 48 / or 72 hours and they let you use any public transportation/ bus, boat, tram, metro and also free admission to sightseeing, and discount to certain restaurant. You can buy them at the airport or tourist office in town

Hope this helps

California
reviews: 1
3. Re: I have a fear of public transport!

For a transportation pass there's also the 24, 48, and 72 hour (uurs)passes that provide transportation in Amsterdam but no entry to museums or canalboats. A 72 hour pass costs EUR 13. They're available at GVB in the white, red tiled roof building out in front of Centraal Station.

Chances are your hotel is on the Oud West side of Vondelpark in which case the #1 tram running on Overtoom is your best choice.

If you're close to Leidseplein you can take a 1, 2, or 5 that runs to behind the Royal Palace at Dam Square and continues on to Centraal Station.

From Leidseplein figure as many as 20 trams per hour.

For your first couple of times watch what the locals are doing especially boarding as some trams board in the rear, some in the center, and some at any door.

There's full details at gvb.nl/english/…index.html

It's all pretty easy actually- you'll be riding like a pro after a couple of trips.

Peak District...
Destination Expert
for Derbyshire
reviews: 240
4. Re: I have a fear of public transport!

We stayed at Villa Borgmann south of the park and walked in every day, walkers and cyclists going past all the time. We usually got the tram back home. Rarely crowded, no worries about safety any more than the UK.

Scotland
5. Re: I have a fear of public transport!

Thanks everyone! I'll sleep a wee bit better tonight. Had a look at those websites, most helpful. Thank you again xxx