We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

De Baronie or The Exchange?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Windermere, Florida
reviews: 6
De Baronie or The Exchange?

My husband and I will be arriving from the USA at 6 am one day in November. We are planning to spend the day in Amsterdam and fly out to Rome the next day at about 9:30 a.m.

Based upon all the posts here, it sounds like staying near central station would allow us to maximize our time in town while allowing us to access the airport in the morning.

Two places have continued to surface for their ratings and prices, but I have not read much about them in posts. We are looking for basic, clean and safe accommodations but don't plan to hang out in the room.

What are your thoughts on De Baronie or The Exchange? We like charming and architecturally representative places of those areas we visit. Stairs are not an issue.

Many thanks.

11 replies to this topic
Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
1. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

Here are 496 reviews for The Exchange:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d220027…

And here are 18 reviews for the de Baronie:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d122384…

I don't know either one but will comment on their location (most of the people on this forum will not be able to give you personal reviews like those already provided). First, good move staying in town instead of near the airport. However, I think you are placing too high a premium staying close to the Central Station. The Exchange is on the Damrak which is one of the main streets but it doesn't have very much charm and will be noisy late.

While de Baronie is in a good part of town, I think you will find it remote from many of the things you might want to see.

My suggestion would be to stay a little further away (anywhere in the Central Canal Zone - Grachtengordel) and I think you will enjoy your visit a lot more.

Edited: 8:13 pm, August 24, 2014
Windermere, Florida
2. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

Thanks for the input. Well, certainly there were a lot of posts on those two places. In the recommendations for one night stays there were many others recommended, but never those.

I'll expand my search a bit further out.

Thanks again.

Windermere, Florida
3. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

Thank you for the input. Well, certainly there were many posts for those hotels. When searching for recommendations for one night stays with convenience factors, there were many others mentioned, but never those two locations.

I will continue my search a bit further out.

Thank you again.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
4. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

You could also expand your search to include the Leidseplein, Museumplein and the area around Vondelpark. The 197 bus is easy to get to and travels direct to the airport.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 54
5. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

I'd do what Balou says.

Windermere, Florida
6. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

Thanks very much. It is greatly appreciated.

Windermere, Florida
7. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

How often does that bus depart the airport? So, I can plan for taking it into the city upon my flight arrival instead of the train perhaps?

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
8. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

It departs several times an hour. Just plan on boarding the first one to arrive.

Windermere, Florida
9. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

Thank you. I just found some links on this site that might lead me to a map of stops in town as well.

Thanks again.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 54
10. Re: De Baronie or The Exchange?

You can plan all public transport in the country via www.9292.nl/en

Reply to: De Baronie or The Exchange?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted