We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Add a city to amsterdam trip?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Add a city to amsterdam trip?

My husband and I are planning a trip to amsterdam in early november for 7 nights. We were discussing whether to add another city such as copenhagen or brussels? Or is it best to stick with the day trips such as harlem or delft. We want enough variety but don't want to spend all of our time getting somewhere either.

Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
29,469 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Add a city to amsterdam trip?

Copenhagen you would need to fly to. Brugge or Ghent would be more interesting than Brussels. You can be in paris in 3 hours also.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13,873 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Add a city to amsterdam trip?

I think it also depends on your flights. Have you already booked a return ticket to Amsterdam? Would you consider flying open jaw, i.e. into Berlin or Paris or London, and home from Amsterdam? That way you'd only need to travel between Amsterdam and the other city once, not twice. You could look at flights or trains, compare through www.skyscanner.com (cheap flights) and www.seat61.com for train info.

Do note that even a 40 minute flight to London would cost you about half a day in transit: packing, checking out of hotel, getting to an airport, security checks, flying, getting to your hotel etc.

Also, I don't know how many of those 7 days in Amsterdam would be full days. If the first and last days are travel days as well, you basically only have 5 full days left. Doing daytrips costs travel time as well but at least you can leave your stuff in the hotel and you won't need to deal with security checks and such.

You can easily spend all 7 days in Amsterdam and doing daytrips without getting bored. There are so many interesting towns within a ~ 1 hour radius (many even within 30 minutes), for example Haarlem, Utrecht, Enkhuizen, Zwolle, Den Bosch, Breda, Leiden, Delft, Marken, Edam, Naarden-Vesting. And Amsterdam itself is small but has loads to offer in all catergories (except mountain hiking ;-)).

Ghent and Bruges would make for a nice 2 day trip with overnight (about 3.5 to 4 hours travel time one-way).

Personally I dislike Brussels, there are tonnes of nicer cities in the Netherlands and Belgium.

As Ronaldo says, you can reach Paris faster than that, in just over 3 hours. But you'd need to book soon to get affordable tickets because those are with flexible prices, going up over time.

In case you decide to stay in Amsterdam the full week, you could look into apartments. Read reviews well. It can be a great experience to 'live' somewhere like a local for a short while.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 11:58 am, August 24, 2014
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Add a city to amsterdam trip?

Thank you for your responses! We will have 6 full days. I'm leaning towards the day trips since we have been to paris and london. And I think I can confidently remove brussels from the list. If you were to pick your top three day trips what would you choose?

Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
13,873 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Add a city to amsterdam trip?

- Zaanse Schans (either independently by public bus; or as an organized group daytrip combined with Marken and Volendam)

- Zwolle medieval Hansa town, can also be combined with Kampen

- Rotterdam for a nice change from all the picturesque and historical cities... A modern city with lots of concrete and glass but some really cool modern architecture, great art museums, a nice harbor tour by boat, international no-nonsense vibe, funky cafes and shops... This is a city you'd need to make plans for instead of just wander around aimlessly, or you may end up only seeing the ugly parts. :-)

www.9292.nl/en for planning your public transport within the country.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
6,114 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Add a city to amsterdam trip?

Leiden (30 minutes by train):

…about.com/od/Day-Trips-South-Holland/p/Day-…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188630-Activiti…

Utrecht (beautiful old university city):

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g188616-Utrecht-Vaca…

http://wikitravel.org/en/Utrecht

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Add a city to amsterdam trip?

Hoge Veluwe National Park, including a visit to the Kröller-Müller museum.

Possibly extended with Royal Palace Het Loo (grandest palace in NL) in Apeldoorn

Amerongen Castle (Kasteel Amerongen) near the Rhine River

Edited: 4:56 pm, August 24, 2014
7. Re: Add a city to amsterdam trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 26, 2015