We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk with a stick!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alloway,UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Walk with a stick!

How easy/ accessible is Amsterdam with walking problems? Have awful pain in my hip and can walk a little, rest, then start again. Walking alongside the canals would be lovely but does public transport bisect or are there large distances to walk from tram/ buses to museums/ galleries etc? Visited Anne Frank's house years ago but assume that's not possible now?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
11,521 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Walk with a stick!

This map shows you where public transport runs. In various main streets it intersects with the canals. (The center is that half pie shape intersected by the semi-circular canals; you can zoom in using the (+) on top.) gvb.nl/reisinformatie/…lijnenkaart2014.pdf

Anne Frank House is not so far from a stop for trams and buses. But the house itself has very steep stairs. There is a picture and some info about it on their website. annefrank.org/en/… Only you know whether that is doable or not.

Can you cycle? That might give less strain on your hip?

I think in your case a public transport day card comes in handy. Read more about how to use the trams and buses, and which types of cards we have nowadays (things have changed over the past years when it comes to tickets): tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s303/Amsterda…

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 8:10 am, August 23, 2014
veldhoven
Level Contributor
125 posts
176 reviews
2. Re: Walk with a stick!

It might be more comfortable to use a crutch instead of a stick. After my hip operation, I was able to walk on the cobble stones in Ghent and also used the tram with my crutches. Maybe through your local healthcare center in the UK you might be able to hire one?

Be aware that the Anne Frank house, if you want to see all parts, has a small staircase. Many museums have wheelchairs to lend or for hire, which use could use

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
27,997 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Walk with a stick!

Have you though about renting a mobility scooter?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
9,834 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Walk with a stick!

Make sure you get a hotel with a lift. You do not want to be going up Amsterdam stairs with that hip. You may not want to do so with a good hip.

And don't believe any reviews where they say-----"the steps are not all that bad"

5. Re: Walk with a stick!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 25, 2015