We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to rent boat?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Maine
best place to rent boat?

So just like the title says I'm looking to rent a boat for 2-3 hours and was wondering what the best place to rent is, I see boaty is 89 for 3 hours, just concerned since everyone says it's the slowest boat on the canal...

Basically looking for something around the same price or less for a better quicker boat... Or maybe experiences with boaty good or bad

Thanks!

18 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
1. Re: best place to rent boat?

You're only allowed to go 7km/h anyway so you don't need a quick boat. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that is why they limited them.

Biking alongside the canals is faster. :-)

Edited: 2:30 am, August 05, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: best place to rent boat?

I like Mokum Boats. Sloepdelen ones are also ok but the Mokum ones have a proper steering wheel and are easier to operate.

Boaty ones have a canopy on them with solar panels so not great for sunbathing but good to keep the rain off.

Grpupon have a deal for Sloepdelen

groupon.nl/deals/…

The idea of boating on the canals is not to go fast!!

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
3. Re: best place to rent boat?

also if you dont know the rules ,, or the signs,, it can get a bit difficult ,, the tour boats dont stop lol watch the video below

http://youtu.be/p1dCJ9VDUlc

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
4. Re: best place to rent boat?

That's a great video.

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: best place to rent boat?

LOL Matty, hilarious video.

And the canals are full of people like that. Most don't even know the rules and basically drive against traffic, go under parts of bridges where you're not even allowed to go, go way too fast, don't give right of way etc. And drink beers on top of that. Anyway to Jim: good luck! :-)

Dubai, United Arab...
6. Re: best place to rent boat?

I did a 4 hour trip with Boaty and it was a a GREAT experience and not scary at all!! This from a first timer in a boat !!!

Most tour boats were quite considerate too and waited for us to pass at our snails pace !!!!!!

Portland, Maine
7. Re: best place to rent boat?

Was the slow pace a good experience? or painfully slow?

Sounds fun either way

Edited: 3:51 am, August 08, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: best place to rent boat?

I do not know how much additional fun is to rent a boat and slug around in the canals of Amsterdam compared to just get onto a canal tour.

I find it lot more fun to go a bit out of town and have a much wider area to boat around in, some fishing and so on in the sun. Outside Amsterdam, the landscape is just stunningly green, lot of water and lot of nice boats. But then you have to leave the touristy things behind and get to these outskirts!

http://www.vvpverhuur.nl/en/fishing

Dubai, United Arab...
9. Re: best place to rent boat?

The slow pace is very good to relax and admire the views, which is the whole idea!!!!

Amsterdam, The...
10. Re: best place to rent boat?

@ Jim H, don't worry about slowness! You're not allowed to go faster than 7 km/h (4.35 mph) anyway on Amsterdam's canals.

Reply to: best place to rent boat?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted