We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
122 posts
65 reviews
Trains in Amsterdam

Is train travel safe at night in Amsterdam? I am used to taking the train at night in large cities so in general am comfortable with it. I would just be going to tourist places like the Anne Frank house.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

Yes - no problem except you need to look out for pickpockets. They are very safe but do NOT underestimate the pickpockets.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
122 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

Yes, certainly I am used to that in NY! Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
27,997 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

I think you mean trams really not trains.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
122 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

Oh, I thought there was an underground train? Thought I saw a mention of it on one of the tourist sites.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
27,997 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

The Metro only serves the outskirts of town really. Main transportation in town is by tram.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
11,521 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

You may not even need public transport if you stay in the center. The city is very compact and walkable.

But here is some more about safety. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188553-c198229/The-N…

Your main worries are pickpocketing (not just on trams / metros, but also in cafes, on markets, basically everywhere) and not bumping into one of the thousands upon thousands of cyclists i.e. not stepping onto bike lanes or crossing streets without looking (you won't *hear* them).

Google Maps + the walking person symbol will tell you walking times (about half an hour max to/from most places within the center), and www.9292.nl/en about public transport options from A to B anywhere in the country (also from airport to your accommodation's exact location).

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

New York City
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

Are the pickpockets any worse than anywhere else in Europe?

I use a money belt and do look around for certain types of people

Ive been to Barcelona, Rome and Prague and didnt have any issues

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

Howard -

Those cities are not even close to Amsterdam (that includes New York as well). Pick pockets are a problem in all big cities but some are far worse than others. In some cities you are almost certain to have your pocket picked (or your purse/cell/jacket taken) if you are careless and Amsterdam is one of them.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
27,997 posts
74 reviews
9. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

Whilst I appreciate that it is prudent to warn people to be on the lookout, have any of the regular posters on here been the victim of a pickpocket? I see certain people making out that Amsterdam is a beehive of crime which is just not true AFAIK.

I have lived in war zones, seen bombing raids carried out on the outskirts of Lusaka by the Rhodesian airforce, worked in Soweto at the height of the riots, got drunk in Hillbrow, Jo'burg, the murder capital of the world, had a knife pulled on me in the Paris Metro but never felt remotely threatened in this city not had anything other than a bike stolen (but that goes with the territory). Maybe I'm just lucky!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Trains in Amsterdam

I agree with Ron here. My time spent in Amsterdam simply does not jibe with ddavis' description above. If anything I'm far more relaxed in Amsterdam than I am in other larger cities. I would never advise a friend who asked that pickpocketing was "almost certain" to occur.