We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Faridabad, India
Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

Hi, me and my husband will be going to Paris by bus from Amsterdam. There are 3 options of IDbus, Eurolines and megabus. Could you suggest which one is recommended? We want a comfortable sleep as its gonna be an overnight journey and their terminals should be well connected through other Public transport.

9 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
1. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

>>We want a comfortable sleep <<

Well then take the Thalys and be in Paris in three hours then sleep in a real hotel bed. Whatever, they are all busses so how comfortable can a bus seat be?

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
2. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

If bought when the tickets first go on sale (90 days before date of travel), Thalys tickets are a viable option. I show 2nd class One Way fares on the NSHiSpeed site at €35.00 P/P if purchased 90 days in advance.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 70
3. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

Another vote for the train. Much more comfortable than a bus because you can walk around. And takes much less time.

All info here: seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-…

(also click on 'More information about Thalys')

Utrecht, The...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

If you want an overnight bus IDbus is definitely the one to go for, new company, new busses and afaik no midnight stop in Brussels.

Amsterdam, The...
5. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

I'm beginning to wonder how long a night bus takes to get there and which detour it takes. In my experience it's a 5-6 hour drive to Paris. Especially at night when there should be no traffic jams. That would not give you much time to sleep. Although perhaps the bus doesn't go 120 or 130km/h where that is allowed.

Cairo, Egypt
6. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

could you please advice which is cheaper, bus or train from Amsterdam to Paris? we are 3 adults and 3 years old girl

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 146
7. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

Well IF you book 3 months before travel date you have a good chance that train is cheaper. If you wait until closer to the date, train prices go up and up and at some point bus starts winning.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 9:50 am, August 05, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

Buses are definitely cheaper unless you book Thalys quite early. If you book well in advance, trains (Thalys) is quite cost-effective and much faster. They also have packages for families although it may not apply if the kid is small.

Kids below 4-years of age travel free on Thalys but do not get a separate seat but overall it would be more comfortable as well.

If you book a bus, babies also get charged. And if you do not book early, bus fares can also rise.

Buses take 5-6 hours of actual driving, but overall could be longer. My cousins came from Paris and they started at 11:00PM from Paris and reached 4:30AM at Utrecht from where it would be another 40 minutes max to Amsterdam. It was wickedly cold at that time (in Feb 2014).

So, overall - if in winters, you should select a bus timing which is not reaching you at an odd-hour someplace - very early or late in night.

Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris

You can also check the Eurolines bus website for prices and compare it with Thalys prices on websites like www.b-europe.com and www.nsinternational.nl .

But for mere travel comfort with a child I'd definitely choose the train. Imagine arriving at 5am in a strange city, having 'slept' in a chair, ugghhh.... :-S

And taking night transport will not save you hotel costs because 99% of hotels will still charge you if you arrive at 5 or 6 in the morning. Unless you were planning on staying up all morning and storing your luggage, staying out and about and then making your way to your accommodation after noon... I've done things like that but it is killing.

Edited: 10:09 am, August 05, 2014
Reply to: Bus from Amsterdam to Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted