We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 327
Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

Do I need to know some Dutch Words? If so what should I know how to say?

16 replies to this topic
New York
11. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

wow most people I met in the restaurant and café speaks little English but ok for cominucation and some places I fluently English and some places not at all confusion. thanks for your information

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 71
12. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

I can see where that confusion came from...

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 59
13. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

I have been learning Dutch since last October, albeit at a relaxed pace since I retired last September. I have a Dutch tutor. Here's my experience from spending a week in Amsterdam in early July.

I spoke Dutch at every opportunity that I could. My pronunciation is good enough that I shocked many Nederlanders. I'm sure they thought, "why is this American speaking Dutch . . . somewhat decently?"

Most of the Dutch seemed to appreciate my efforts to speak Dutch. Most spoke back to me in Dutch. Yes, I did get "lost" in some of the more complex conversations. But, this did not deter me from speaking Dutch first, English second.

Everyone spoke English quite well. I'd suggest at least learning some of the basic words in Dutch for "thank you, you are welcome, etc."

Oh yes, there were several waiters and waitresses working in the Leidseplein who were from the UK or Ireland. None of them spoke any Dutch. One bloke tried to say "graag gedaan" to me, but it was the worst Dutch I've ever heard spoken. And, oh yea, the Brits and Irish actually thought I was Dutch as I always ordered in Dutch.

Enjoy your trip to The Netherlands.

14. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:29 am, August 11, 2014
Edited: 4:29 am, August 11, 2014

manchester UK
reviews: 28
15. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

Doe normaal Mr Other! ;).

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
16. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

The Germans used to tell me I spoke German with a Dutch accent.

Reply to: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted