We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 296
Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

Do I need to know some Dutch Words? If so what should I know how to say?

16 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

No need as just about everyone speaks English.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

If you want, go to Google Translate, plug in typical English phrases, translate to Dutch, and then click on the microphone icon.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 62
3. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

Dutch people will probably look confused or won't understand you if you try to speak Dutch. Especially if you've been speaking English before that.

Expats have trouble learning Dutch because hardly anyone lets them practice; most people will automatically switch to English as soon as they hear an accent. Even my British friend who speaks fluent Dutch (but with a slight accent) gets that from waiters and such.

But of course you're free to try out 'bedankt' (thanks) or 'dank u wel' (thank you - formal way) or 'mag ik de rekening alstublieft?' (May I have the bill please?) But will you also be ready for an answer in Dutch? ;-)

New York
4. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

in the café and restaurant and hotels do they use English or duch?

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
5. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

tthe Dutch speak better english then most americans , lol,, but you will have o problem communicating if you want to learn a few phrases check this out

coffeeshopmenus.org/0-WhosInTown-/WhosInTown…

scroll to the bottom of the page enjoy

Peace matty

Amsterdam, The...
6. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

@Jerry well last time I checked we still had our own language but everyone in the service industry is used to tourists so you can speak English everywhere and you'll be hard pressed to find a restaurant that doesn't have menus in English apart from Dutch.

In some cafes or hairdresser shops the (foreign) staff don't even speak Dutch but English, a bit of a strange development and sometimes annoying. Even at clothing shops like H&M and Esprit we see this more and more. Quite strange really. It's like a shop in New York hiring someone who speaks only Spanish.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
7. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

cecile ,, well i can show you shops in NY that only speak spanish ,, then i can take you to queens , where they only speak korean

Essen, Germany
reviews: 89
8. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

This time I had "problems" with talking in English. Every time when I started to speak English somebody asked us where we are from and then told us that we could speak German :-))

And even when we had to wait in a line in front of the Amstelkring Church (Our Lord in the Attic) and tried to have some small talk with group members from Calgary, there have been two or more people from Canada who answered in German. It was a nice experience, especially for my friend who doesn´t speak English.

But just to second the previous posters, you can get around just with English easily.

Amsterdam, The...
9. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

@Matty, also at shops like GAP or Levi's, or at a mainstream hairdresser?

Portland, Oregon
10. Re: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?

jordansbulls,

You can try and learn some words and imo, wont hurt.

As others have stated, you can get by w/o too. I found that i got lazy since it was a given and the locals didnt seem as upset about my poor Dutch than some Frenchperson would have been.

to me, its fun to learn some new words.

good luck.

Reply to: Do I need to know some Dutch Words in Amsterdam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted