We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NS does it again....

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Positano, Italy
reviews: 39
NS does it again....

According to local news station AT5 , NS has introduced a new hotkey button on the ticket machines. The button on the main screen gives the opportunity to purchase a ticket to and from Schiphol from all Amsterdam Stations for 4 euro. Whilst purchasing a regular ticket from for example Amsterdam Zuid only costs 2.60 euro.

After the misleading comfort class tickets this has become the new version of ripping of tourists.

at5.nl/artikelen/129565/toeristen-juist-duur…

17 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: NS does it again....

For the love of god!!

I love the way the woman on the phone from NS mentioned 70% of customers wanted to go to CS. Then squirming about the other 30% that were potentially getting ripped off by paying more.

They really should not be allowed to get away with 5hit like this. Isn't there like a passenger's pressure group to regulate NS?

Brussels
reviews: 9
2. Re: NS does it again....

<Isn't there like a passenger's pressure group to regulate NS?>

http://www.rover.nl/

But notice rover.nl/actueel/nieuwsarchief/779-ns-corrig…

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 60
3. Re: NS does it again....

Such crooks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
4. Re: NS does it again....

is it really a rip off if the option to not use the hot button and buy cheaper is still available?

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 2
5. Re: NS does it again....

Yes it is....

Edited: 2:13 pm, June 17, 2014
6. Re: NS does it again....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:03 pm, September 08, 2014

Auckland Region...
reviews: 79
7. Re: NS does it again....

It is a rip off if te consumer is not aware of lower fares by not pressing teh button! Especially as so may travellers on that route will be tourists.

George Town, Grand...
8. Re: NS does it again....

Can you please explain how this tourist can avoid this?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
9. Re: NS does it again....

You only need to avoid it if you are going to a station other than Amsterdam Centraal. i.e. it is cheaper to get to Zuid, Lelylaan, Sloterdijk but indeed most will go to CS where the fare is 4 euros anyway.

From 1st july I guess this will be 5 euros when they start charging extra for paper tickets.

I would say to avoid it take the bus but they just increased the fare to 5 euros from 4 euros too.

I have to say the NS machines at the airport even confused me the other week so how a tourist can manage is a mystery. No wonder there was a queue at most of them as people tried to figure them out.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 181
10. Re: NS does it again....

Oh the Dutch .... Sounds like the not so subtle tactics that booking.com (another Dutch creation) places on their website...flashing messages...2 rooms left and 8 people from Croatia looking at these rooms right now. Snooze and you loose. Does the hot bottom on the ticket machine flash or make noise?

Edited: 1:39 am, June 18, 2014
Reply to: NS does it again....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted