We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SF, CA
Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 13), staying 3 days in Amsterdam, based on Westerstraat in the Jordaan. We'll be doing lots of walking, but (especially because we are meeting up every day with folks staying near Leidsesplein) I can imagine us getting exhausted towards the end of the day. So, wondering, once you've got 3 adult / 1 child fares, will it be about the same price to just get a taxi? Let's assume 3 km distance. Also, are they easy to find or hail? I'm a little confused by all the chipkaart options, and how much a single trip costs if you get a refillable chipkaart. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?

Taxis are readily available and you should be able to hail one on the street or pick one up at one of the taxi ranks. Yes taking a short taxi ride will be about €10 which is slightly more than taking a tram for the four of you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 69
2. Re: Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?

Get the Uber taxi app and getting a cab could not be easier.

If you are here for 10 days then maybe getting three chipcards would be good and just load them up. Single trips within the city are around €1 to €1.20. For your youngest just get a day child ticket for €2.50

Amsterdam
reviews: 69
3. Re: Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?

In my experience taxis are not easy to hail in the street here. I certainly wouldn't rely on hailing one in or around the Westerstraat.

If I want a taxi I walk to one of the (not very many) taxi ranks or call one 020-777 7777 (I hear that Uber is good but haven't tried it myself).

There is a taxi rank at the Leidseplein. As far as I know, the nearest one to the Westerstraat is on the Westermarkt behind the church. A 10min walk or so, thus: http://goo.gl/maps/tOr5s

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?

There is a tram-stop at the end of Westerstraat. This tram will bring you directly to Leidseplein. Which by the way on a sunny day, you also just might want to walk to. (15 minutes)

With 4 persons, the tram is more comfortable than a normal taxi. Also, like mentioned, Westerstraat is not a street where many taxi's go.

A Tram comes every 10-15 minutes

Just take the tram. It is the Amsterdam-way to go. It is totally safe, you get to see the Amsterdammers (and other tourists), it's clean and it's fast.

Edited: 8:39 am, June 12, 2014
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
5. Re: Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?

As Flexen says the #10 tram goes from Leidseplein to Westerstraat. A single ride is €2,80.

There's also an app from 9292.nl that gives door-to-door public transit options. Very handy.

Edited: 12:10 pm, June 12, 2014
Chicago
reviews: 13
6. Re: Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?

I bet you won't get too exhausted walking. The city is very walkable, and you are constantly seeing new and exciting things. Stop along the way and rest if you must at a café. You are much younger then us and we rarely take the tram. Mostly use it for long distances. If you do need to, though, I would take a tram and not a taxi. Adds to the whole experience.

Reply to: Trams vs. taxi for 4 people together, around central area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted