We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus trip to Bruges

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 1
Bus trip to Bruges

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to get a bus tour from Amsterdam to Bruges with overnight stay?

I've found a few day bus trips but think that 3 hours drive one way too much for one day plus many reviewers said that's a bit too rush for Bruges.

I know that I can take a train, but train tickets are WAY more expensive :(

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

I've not heard of any companies that offer an overnight trip to Bruges. You might want to look at taking a bus to Belgium and then catching a local train.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 38
2. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

It is much more comfortable to take the train, either the high speed Thalys or regular Intercity, and change at Antwerp. Journey time is 4-5 hours.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
3. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

Take the Eurolines direct bus but and book your own hotel.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
4. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

... but please also realize that 3 hours is a very optimistic estimate without any traffic jams. In reality there are always traffic jams somewhere along the way, making it more likely to take 3.5 to 4 hours one-way.

Intercity trains are fixed price, probably around 50 euros one-way. I guess a Eurolines bus is cheaper. (And at least they are more honest about the actual travel time: 4 hours 20 minutes one-way).

Also note that the Netherlands have tonnes of towns that arguably are just as nice or even nicer than Bruges, and cost much less travel time and money. For example the 7 medieval Hansa towns are all very picturesque and interesting. Zwolle, Kampen and Deventer can be reached by train; the other 4 by train + bus (or Hattem: train to Zwolle + bike from Zwolle). www.hanzesteden.info/en/home/

Even close to Amsterdam you will find beautiful fortress town Naarden-Vesting (just 'Google Image' it), picturesque Edam, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Medemblik...

www.9292.nl/en is a door to door public transport planner for the entire Netherlands, so you can see the travel times to those places. Google Images and Streetview can help you decide.

I know a lot of people want to go to Bruges *just* because it is famous (which also means it's always very crowded, and 'overly' developed for tourism). It's a cute town, just so long as you know you are basically doing it for the name, not for the most logical and appealing reasons (from Amsterdam).

If you do go there with an overnight stay and all, I recommend you also visit Ghent for a few hours, it's 30 minutes by train from Bruges and is a bigger town but not so touristy yet, has historical architecture with gabled houses, canals, cute bridges; it has a medieval castle in the center that you can visit; and many good beer cafes, restaurants, funky hip bars, cool shops (for fun gadgets, old-fashioned vinegars and oils, etc etc).

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 6:02 am, June 12, 2014
newcastle
reviews: 15
5. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

Ive booked with Eurolines to go to Bruges when we visit Amsterdam in July, the bus leaves at 0830, takes about four hours. We are staying overnight and leaving Bruges 14.25 the following day. And it's cheap!

Plymouth, Michigan
reviews: 7
6. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

Vainewcastle - where are you staying in Bruge? We are in the process of planing an overnight trip (via train) and I'm just starting to research places to stay - well basically sleep for one night!

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
7. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

KimWright, wouldn't you prefer reviews and opinions from people who have actually already stayed at hotels in Bruges, rather than from someone who has yet to go? Loads of reviews in Tripadvisor and Booking.com.

Edited: 2:30 pm, June 12, 2014
newcastle
reviews: 15
8. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

From the reviews, we have chosen to stay at Martin's Brugge Hotel. Looks to be fine for a short visit, very central.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 8
9. Re: Bus trip to Bruges

Eurolines bus + 1 night in a hotel = the way to go! Cheap trains (still double the price of Eurolines bus) require at least 2 changes from Amsterdam, and take just a bit less time than bus. Do keep in mind that bus goes just 1 x a day, while trains every 30 minutes or so.

I stayed at Hotel de Tuilerieën - awesome hotel, full of character, and has nice small spa area with indoor pool.

Edited: 9:38 am, June 13, 2014
Reply to: Bus trip to Bruges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted