We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wales
reviews: 157
Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

Hi,

I was considering booking Banks Mansion hotel as it has very good reviews and the 'extras' seem to make it reasonable value. However when i looked at the pics on TA, I was quite disappointed. The rooms look really grim and old fashioned, more like an old peoples home. The four star hotels I stay in normally look much nicer than this. I looked at a few other hotels in the top 15 and many of them seem to be decorated in this sort of style. Is this the 'boutique' style in Amsterdam or can anyone recommend a more modern classy looking hotel?

Many thanks

19 replies to this topic
Maryland
reviews: 2
11. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

I personally love The Pulitzer. I love the location, and the canal boat stops right in front. It's made from an entire city block of old houses all connected together with a wonderful courtyard garden in the center, and it has great restaurants as well. If I was planning to spend €€ I would stay there.

Cheers,

Sunny

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
12. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

…hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html…

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
13. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

To clarify further, the $80 for a 4* hotel is based on bidding on Priceline for "name your own price". Here is a thread with over 2,500 posts which describes how the process works. If you are interested, read the last 20 pages or so to see what bids are being successful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

Here is another thread for 5* hotels:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
14. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

If it's a birthday present, why not stay in a design suite in a crane. http://www.faralda.nl/

Or in this unique hotel that only hosts one couple at a time: www.windketel.nl/index.php?pageid=&lang=en

Or the brand new Aitana hotel.

Or tick the box for 'Design' hotels in booking.com's advanced search features (on the left after doing the first stepof your search, under Theme).

Edited: 6:13 pm, June 10, 2014
15. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:57 pm, June 10, 2014

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
16. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

Try the Grand Amrath

Auckland Region...
reviews: 79
17. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

The Krasnapolsky has executive rooms that have wooden floors, bright colours etc .

wales
reviews: 157
18. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

Thanks for everybody's help.

A MASSIVE thanks to Cecil for suggesting the Aitana. I love it!!!

Exactly what I was looking for, huge rooms, bright, modern and fab views from the floor to ceiling windows!

I have just booked the 'designer junior suite with views' for £115 (€145) less than I was going to pay for the Banks Mansion. (and the room is twice the size!)

Thanks again for everyone's input 😊

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
19. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

I hope you'll like it. I never stayed there myself but just thought it might have the comtemporary look you're after. It's close to Haarlemmerstraat (shops, restaurants and cafes), Prinseneiland (very picturesque but often-overlooked area), the ferries to EYE and to NDSM wharf... The reviews seem to be very positive too. I'm surprised by how many there are already, it hasn't been open for all that long. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188590-d434572…

Edited: 4:47 pm, June 11, 2014
Reply to: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted