We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wales
reviews: 165
Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

Hi,

I was considering booking Banks Mansion hotel as it has very good reviews and the 'extras' seem to make it reasonable value. However when i looked at the pics on TA, I was quite disappointed. The rooms look really grim and old fashioned, more like an old peoples home. The four star hotels I stay in normally look much nicer than this. I looked at a few other hotels in the top 15 and many of them seem to be decorated in this sort of style. Is this the 'boutique' style in Amsterdam or can anyone recommend a more modern classy looking hotel?

Many thanks

19 replies to this topic
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 43
1. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

You have to bear in mind that Amsterdam is an old city. The hotels that best match the atmosphere of the city are often done up in a somewhat older style.

If price is no object, go for the Waldorf Astoria. Otherwise, for us to give you any meaningful advice on a hotel, we'll need some idea of a budget from you.

wales
2. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

Hi

Waldorf is out of my price range I'm afraid - I did look at that one and it looks amazing but my price range is probably half that - about £150/night.

thanks for replying though

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
3. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

>grim and old fashioned, more like an old peoples home<

I think the term is art deco LOL. However if that is not your style then the place is not for you. Maybe take a look at the art'Otel, http://www.canalhouse.nl/photos.htm, Sir Albert, Sebastian, Notting hill.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
4. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

If you do on't like the looks of the rooms don't stay there. But asking if the reviews are accurate as you did is a bit silly.

1326 or so individuals stayed in that hotel and rated the hotel and wrote detailed reviews. And they rated that hotel extremely high. At one time number one in all of Amsterdam surely in the top 5 now.

What difference does the comment good or bad from one or three here make?

Id never pay the money they want because it would not be value for me. My last 4 star stay in a very nice hotel was about $80 usd a night inc tax for 14 nights. Now that's value.

Over 1300 people on TA rated the Banks and over 900 gave it the highest grade possible.

How can any single person here refute that and if they did would you believe them?

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
5. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

My Auntie heard from her cousin's niece that friends of one of her colleagues didn't like it. There, does that help? :P

wales
6. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

Ok, thanks for the sarcastic, helpful comments, maybe I should have been more clear in my question.

Basically, I wanted to know are the photos representative, (as I have stayed in some fab hotels and the TA travellers photos do them no justice whatsoever). As many hotels I have looked at in the TA top list seem to be very similarly decorated, can I assume this is what I will get wherever I stay in Amsterdam? This was what I was hoping to find out - sorry if you think its a silly question.

And no offence, but this is a birthday pressie for my husband and I would never risk paying a measley $80 (less than £50) for a room abroad. Be lucky to get a Travelodge that cheap in the UK!

New York City, New...
reviews: 45
7. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

The reason I like the photos feature of TA reviews is that they are much more realistic than the glossy professional shots used by the hotels for their websites & other advertising.

If you are not impressed by the photos associated with the reviews, I would continue your search. Sounds like the bigger international hotels will be a better fit for you since they tend to be more modern.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
8. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

The $80 that was spoken of referred to a 4* hotel in the central part of the city. The going rate on these 4* hotels via Priceline seems to be between $80 - $100.

You may prefer the Conservatorium. It is modern contemporary luxurious, leaning even to the high tech in some of the room features and not at all art deco or flowery Laura Ashley or Louis XIV 'old fashioned'

The Pulitzer is also a bit more luxuriously neutral in its design and is of course a lovely setting in a block of old canal houses.

The Moevenpik, its totally unattractive name not withstanding, is modern sleek design rooms with wood accents.

Or perhaps the Marriott which possesses a more American style business executive modernity in its room design.

Oh, we can be a bit cheeky so don't take offense that we were taking the mick just a tiny bit... Have a great time.

Edited: 11:35 am, June 10, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
9. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

A $80 a night 4 star hotel you would have paid $250 or more a night to stay in.

Amsterdam hotels like the city itself tend to be old and quirky.

Maybe a new modern hotel like the Doubletree, Marriott, or the Hilton?

They will be neither old nor quirky. They maybe or may not be within your budget for your dates. That you would have to check.

Edited: 11:56 am, June 10, 2014
10. Re: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:50 pm, June 10, 2014

Reply to: Banks Mansion - as good as reviews suggest or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted