We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

We are planning to spend a week in the Netherlands (and maybe a day or 2 in Belgium - perhaps Antwerp and / or Bruges), will start in Amsterdam, and now are trying to plan the rest.

Want to visit Hague and Delft as a part of this trip. Would these be a good day trip(s) coming back to Amsterdam to spend the night or should we plan to spend a night there (which, of course would also involve dragging our suitcases with us)?

Would appreciate the advice.

12 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 129
1. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Hi there,

All depends on your tastes, how much to see, etc. etc. Each of them qualifies for at least half a day, the more time you have (esp. The Hague) the more things you can see. E.g. Madurodam, beach, Mesdag panorama, Mauritshuis, Peace Palace in Hague and the old centre, canal trip plus a few museums in Delft...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 51
2. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Delft and The Hague are only about an hour from Amsterdam and trains go back until late (and night trains once an hour all night from The Hague Hollands Spoor station, and from Delft too). So you might as well stay overnight in Amsterdam. Personally I'd visit Delft in the morning, and The Hague in the later afternoon (though I can think of nicer towns than The Hague), then have dinner in a beach bar in Scheveningen (if you're there in summer).

www.ns.nl/en to plan train journeys.

Edited: 5:03 am, June 10, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Thanks for the advice.

You've mentioned nicer towns than The Hague (for a day's trip from Amsterdam) - can you, please, elaborate?

Winter Haven...
4. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Haarlem

Utrecht

Edam/Volendam, Marken

Alkmaar, Bergen, Hoorn

Leiden

Gouda

Enkhiuzen

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 51
5. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Enkhuizen and its lovely open air Zuiderzee Museum

Haarlem and Teylers museum and Dolhuys museum of psychiatry

Zwolle and the other medieval Hansa towns that flourished way before Amsterdam ( http://www.hanzesteden.info/en/home/ )

Utrecht

Leiden

The villages near Amsterdam that can be reached by bike such as Durgerdam, Ransdorp, Holysloot, Broek in Waterland; or by bike / bus: Monnickendam, Marken... Volendam is popular but not a personal favorite of mine... Edam is cute.

Zaanse Schans is worth a few hours: http://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

The Hague has museums and interesting sights I guess, but as a whole I find it a widespread, very grey city.

www.9292.nl/en will show you travel times to each of those places.

Edited: 10:03 am, June 10, 2014
New York City, New...
reviews: 7
6. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

also in Haarlem is the Frans Hal musuem which i recommend

Winter Haven...
7. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Zwolle - +1

Haarlem - http://www.corrietenboom.com/

Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Thank you all for your advice.

Oregon
reviews: 15
9. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

When are you planning this visit? Will you be travelling with children? Any special interests?

The Mauritshuis in The Hague will not be reopening until almost July and the highlights collection is no longer at the Gemeentemuseum. Just in case your reason for choosing The Hague was to see the Vermeers and Girl with the Pearl Earring. Unless you have a compelling reason/interest in something in The Hague, and while it does have it's charms, as several people have pointed out there are better choices for a visitor with limited time. Especially this summer, when the tram system is undergoing a LOT of overhaul and the construction work is disrupting and aggravating even to the locals. Don't get me wrong--I like living here, but without a strong reason, it's not a city I would ever recommend for a casual wander about. It's very much a "working city" vs. a "picturesque" city and it is indeed rather spread out, especially compared to somewhere like Haarlem or Leiden or Delft.

Delft's train station is also still undergoing construction and is a bit of a winding maze in the immediate area and not so pretty. But if you give yourself a bit of extra time to navigate it (which could be tricky if you have much luggage), once you're away from it and into the town itself, it becomes its usual charming self again.

Chicago, Illinois
10. Re: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?

Folks,

Thanks for all your advises.

We are back from our trip. We did visit Hague (on the day Mauritshuis was reopen so we did have a chance to see the Girl with the Pearl Earring and all other Vermeers there; coincidentally, it was also the Veterans' Day so we found ourselves in the middle of all festivities at the park which was kind of fun); didn't make it to Delft. We did stop in Leiden for half a day (very interesting - Boerhaave museum, pilgrims' museum, even though its connection to the pilgrims is very loose at best, but the house itself gives an idea of living standards of those times - and just the city itself). We made a day trip to the Waterland - Marken (very cute), Volendam (must have been interesting some time ago but, unfortunately, more like a tourist trap now), Monnickendam (very interesting, well preserved - when we were having lunch in the cafe located in the building constructed in 1367 it made us think about what else was happening in the world at that time and where else we can see the buildings from those times preserved as well as to still be in use for their intended purpose), Broek (somehow reminded us of U.S. suburbia although with a lot more laid back feel). Took a day trip to Bruges, Belgium (which was definitely worth it - although, as an afterthought, it would be worth spending the night there just to have a relaxing dinner with local beers and then a Belgian waffle breakfast in the morning). But, of course, the focus was Amsterdam, and one week wasn't nearly enough to see everything we wanted to see (without making it on the run just for the sake of checking out line items on the list which, of course, wouldn't be a good vacation).

Will reserve the rest for the next trip.

Reply to: Hague / Delft - Day Trip(s)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted