We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
reviews: 80
Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

Often I dream of the day that i can live or at least spend part of the year in the Netherlands. At present, a couple of weeks is all i can manage, due to distance and committments here in New Zealand. However, I also wonder if it is so special due to the fact that I can only spend a very limited time there! One day i will spend 3 months , and then see how i feel.

What is your opinion on this? Too much of a good thing can become ordinary?

33 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 4
1. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

>>Too much of a good thing can become ordinary?<<

This has not been my experience vis a vis Amsterdam. I would move there tomorrow and start my DAFT process, but Mrs. Pala32 isn't really ready.

;-)

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

I'm working on it!

Maryland
reviews: 2
3. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

In a bleeding heartbeat. If not for my senior parents...

After over 50 visits I am never bored, always so happy to be there, counting my days, and my sadness leaving is only tempered by the knowledge I will be back. Amsterdam feel like my favorite comfortable old jeans, and there are still many things I have not seen or done yet, always keeping my visits fresh.

I can see I may grow weary of the tourist central area and live outside of town. I lived on the beach in Florida for 12 years and developed an admitted intolerance towards the annual deluge of visitors who displaced me at my favorite restaurant, my bar stool, and drifting up Gulf Blvd at 15mph, bla bla bla. Now when I return I treat the locals with a bit more respect. :)

There is nothing "ordinary" about Amsterdam. It's the only "city" I really enjoy being in for more than a weekend. The Golden City.

Waxing Lyrical,

Sunny

Auckland Region...
4. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

I agree , Amsterdam is the only city that I seem to be drawn back to as much. Luckily, I have the legal right to live and work there if i wanted to , so it is very possible for me. I will continue to dream ........

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
5. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

I do live here and never regret it for a minute.

Maryland
6. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

Ron, you very Lucky So-&-So. I totally forgive You for "rubbing it in" !!

LOL

Sunny

Glasgow
reviews: 46
7. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

In a word, yes. I love Amsterdam, I've been at least twice a year for the last 15 years and I've loved how the city has changed and developed over that time, it's not the same place it was 10 years ago and it's always evolving.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 62
8. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

I moved here 16 years ago after having lived in Rotterdam, France, the UK, and a year traveling, and I found my *home* that I didn't know existed. I am in love with this city, I genuinely feel butterflies when I come back after a holiday, and I still feel blessed and so lucky every time I cycle along the beautiful canals like I did today, or sit in a cafe with all those different types of people around, or discover a lovely street, square or cafe I didn't know yet after all these years.

So no, for me 'the good' doesn't get ordinary or boring, and the city changes gradually all the time (mostly for the better-still), and there are so many different sides to it, modern and historical, quiet and crowded, philosophical and hedonistic, metropolitan yet village-like (running into people I know all over town). The summers are amazing with so much going on that I never go on long holidays at that time, being in Amsterdam is my holiday even if I need to work. The winters can be harsh but so cozy in all the crowded bars and going ice skating and such... I don't think it will ever get boring for me, but who knows.

I do have a similar craving to return to Berlin over and over again and in the past I

would have moved there just to experience living there for a year or two, but now I love Amsterdam (and my friends) too much to leave for that long anymore!

When I was very young I never really understood why people talked about cities like they were different from each other, but now I see cities as living entities with a soul, multi-faceted complicated personalities and as things you can love or hate or anything inbetween.

Edited: 6:10 pm, June 05, 2014
Auckland Region...
9. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

cecile, i love reading your posts , and that last one was no exception!

Maryland
10. Re: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?

Here Here ! I'll drink to that !

Geeze, like I said previously, I wish I had Cecile's life !

But that's OK, the Universe has another plan for me, and I am fortunate it does include Amsterdam for many visits. I know when I am Blessed !

Happily,

Sunny

Reply to: Would you live in the Netherlands if you could?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted