We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 64
Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

Hi guys,

I'm in Amsterdam for a few days and would like to know what would be the best option to travel in and around Amsterdam( Zaanse Schans and Haarlem)?

1. Is the GVB ticket valid outside Amsterdam?

2. If not I guess the OV is the only option, but should I pay the 7.5Euro for the card or should I just buy normal tickets? (As I said, i want to move around the city and 2 go in the 2 locations mentioned above)

11 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
1. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

1. No.

2. Just buy normal tickets at the train station.

You can buy day passes for GVB. Single ride is 2,80 a day pass is 7,50. So you'll need to ride the tram more than twice to save money.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

Take a look at the Amsterdam Region Pass valid for 24 hours including the GVB network

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…region-day-ticket

Will give you access by bus to both places although the bus is a bit slower then the train

Walnut Creek...
3. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

Ronaldo, apparently the Amsterdam Region Pass is not good for the NS trains. Do you know any ticket that is good for buses, trams and metros run by GVB as well as for the NS trains? I will be staying in Overveen for a few days in August and travel to AMS. Thanks, Eric

Edited: 12:03 am, June 12, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
4. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

There are not any passes good for GVB and the NS trains. You can get an OV chipkaart to save on the GVB part of your journey.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

Yep as said NS trains never want to play ball with anyone else. Also from next month they will penalise people for buying paper tickets with a €1 surcharge per ticket. If you are making multiple train journeys then loading an OV card might be an option as you can also use it in Amsterdam.

Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 64
6. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

Thank you all. I both separate train tickets for outside the city and GVB day travel cards for inside Amsterdam :)

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
7. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

Given this new surcharge, is there any sort of tariff reduction I can add to my anonymous OV Chipkaart worth considering for my 3 month stays?

Walnut Creek...
8. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

"to save on the GVB part of your journey."

Balou, I am not sure if I am missing something about the OV_chipkaart. I plan to use Unlimited GVB Travel tickets in town that I can buy from GVB @ (EURO3.00+EURO4.50/day). For 4 days, for example, it will be EURO21.00. Do you mean that it will cost less if I use OV_chipkaart?

So far, all I could see are disadvantages, EURO7.50 unnecessary expense to buy the OV_chipkaart and worry about the EURO20 minimum credit balance that is required for the NS train ride.

What am I missing? Thanks, Eric

Edited: 7:18 pm, June 12, 2014
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

eric k, for trams and busses, your trip is charged by the km so single uses with an OV Chipkaart are less than if you paid cash to the driver.

Walnut Creek...
10. Re: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?

"your trip is charged by the km"

Pala, I plan to buy a four day Unlimited GVB Travel ticket for EURO21. Do I need to worry about km? Eric

Edited: 3:44 pm, June 13, 2014
Reply to: Anonymous OV-chipkaart or GVB day ticket?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted