We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

55 Minute Layover

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
55 Minute Layover

I am booking a flight from the US through Amsterdam to Paris. I have the option of a 55 minute layover or a 3 hour 55 minute layover. I would prefer the shorter layover but that means increasing my chance of missing my connection. I have read that it's an easy airport that can handle short layovers but is it better to just grab a drink and have a longer layover? Thanks for any advice!

4 replies to this topic
Chicago
reviews: 13
1. Re: 55 Minute Layover

You have to go through passport control, so if the lines are long it could be a problem.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
2. Re: 55 Minute Layover

That's true, but in case of delays you get automatically rebooked anyhow and it might be worth a try. The passport control/security zone has an express lane for both ALL Paris-bound flights and for a selected list of short-notice flights (the latter constantly updated) hence never a long queue there.

See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c170368/Amste…

for the details.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Oregon
3. Re: 55 Minute Layover

Thank you! I ended up going with the longer layover to be safe but may be jealous seeing folks making their tight connections and getting to their final destination faster :)

UK
reviews: 26
4. Re: 55 Minute Layover

Too late now, but I would have gone for the shorter connection - you would have had nothing to lose.

As a previous poster said - if you miss a connection you just get rebooked on the next available flight (and there are plenty of flights to Paris). And as an added bonus you get a little "missed connection" pack which includes a food voucher, a money-off voucher for a future flight and some miles.

I'm booked with a 40 minute connection in a few weeks' time (non-Schengen to Schengen). I know my chances of making it are probably only 50:50, but am I worried? No!

Reply to: 55 Minute Layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted