We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peanut/Nut Allergy in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Peanut/Nut Allergy in Amsterdam

Hello All,

I have a Northern European trip planned and am spending a couple days in Amsterdam. I am deathly allergic to Tree Nuts/Peanuts. I have done some research and have some techniques in place to manage this allergy abroad (which I will list below for future reference). However, I a would love any insite in the following 3 questions:

1. What is the allergy situation like in Amsterdam?

2. Are there any restaurants/chains people can recommend for those with allergies?

3. I have a dutch card written about the allergies (using google translate), is there anyone out there who could review it for me?

My strategies:

a. Never eat Asian food (no Indian, Chinese, Thai etc.)

b. Do not eat at restaurants with nuts on the menu

c. Do not eat desserts/baked goods/cereals

d. Advise servers of my allergy and ensure that they understand

e. Provide the allergy info cards (in Dutch and English)

f. Always carry epipen & liquid benadryl

g. Know the nearest medical centres

h. Place epipen on table of necessary to get the point across

Thank you!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Peanut/Nut Allergy in Amsterdam

I too have a severe allergy to ginger, so I need to avoid certain ethnic restaurants and always question items on the menu. I think that you will find that language will not be a problem. Most of the Dutch speak English fluently and practically without an accent.

It sounds like you will be very well prepared. Have you been advised to carry the quick dissolve Benadryl to help also? Beside my epipen I always have that with me too.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
155 reviews
2. Re: Peanut/Nut Allergy in Amsterdam

Your plan sounds quite comprehensive. I have recently returned from a stay there and have been several times before, most people speak English better than I do, and I am English. Everything is written in English and if you happen upon somewhere or someone who only speaks Dutch you will be hugely unlucky. Dutch is a ludicrously complicated language and nobody outside of Holland learns it so the Dutch are generally able to switch from one foreign language to another.

Just do as you would do at home and you will be fine. Amsterdam is a grand place, have a super time and don't worry.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Peanut/Nut Allergy in Amsterdam

I have been advised to carry an anti-histamine in liquid form, and have used it on many occasions (including an anaphylactic reaction). It works much more quickly then pill-form benadryl and that is priceless in that situation! In my anaphylactic reaction I only took liquid benadryl and my epipen and the hospital did not do anything but monitor. It is comforting to know that I carry medication that is responsive in that situation. I would highly recommend carrying liquid or even liquid pills!

I have heard that Amsterdam is speaks English thoroughly and is allergy friendly (and apparently quite healthy food-wise as well), so I hope I have the same experience there :)

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
689 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Peanut/Nut Allergy in Amsterdam

Being allergic to peanuts and nuts myself (but not deathly, fortunately), I would be more than happy to review the Dutch translations on your card :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Peanut/Nut Allergy in Amsterdam

I appreciate the tips which have been posted. We are travelling with our three children this summer and our 12 year old son has the same allergy. Our plans were the same (epipens, liquid Benadryl, and information card). We also have a medic-alert bracelet for him but I'm not sure how helpful that is overseas. Thanks for the vote of confidence that we are prepared!

6. Re: Peanut/Nut Allergy in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 28, 2015