We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam Ghent Bruges Paris by train point to point or pass

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Amsterdam Ghent Bruges Paris by train point to point or pass

Hi I've been planning to do a solo trip for 2 weeks to Europe for early october.

I will be flying from Los Angeles LAX to Schipol airport and plan to stay in Amsterdam for 4 days, While there I would like to do a side trip for a day to Delft or Haarlem.

From there my idea is to take the train and spend a day or two in Ghent and 2 days in Bruges

than take a train to Paris for 4 days.(Returning back to Amsterdam for my departure)

This is my first time in Europe, My question is should I buy a Rail pass or just buy point to point train tickets as I go? thanx.

5 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Amsterdam Ghent Bruges Paris by train point to point or pass

An open jaw flight would be more convenient.

As for the rest, post in the Train Travel forum as well.

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Amsterdam Ghent Bruges Paris by train point to point or pass

Thanx I'll do that, I'm new to trip advisor and didn't know there was a train travel forum.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 57
3. Re: Amsterdam Ghent Bruges Paris by train point to point or pass

There is, and that is where my travel guru 'The Man In Seat 61' operates and answers questions! His brilliant website www.seat61.com might answer some questions in the mean time.

London
reviews: 35
4. Re: Amsterdam Ghent Bruges Paris by train point to point or pass

Brugge - Paris and Paris - Amsterdam on the high-speed Thalys trains should be booked in advance, bookings open three months before departure date. See www.thalys.com

(although why aren't you flying back from Paris to LA using a multi-city booking?)

Note that for Brugge - Paris there is one through train a day, otherwise you will need to change at Brussel-Zuid. The ticket allows you to take ANY train from Brugge up to 24 hours before the departure of your Thalys train to Paris, so you could incorporate a short stopover if you wished.

For Amsterdam - Ghent, you have two choices: either high-speed Thalys train direct to Brussel-Zuid then train to Ghent which should be booked in advance, or the Inter-City train to Brussel with a cross-platform connection at Rotterdam Centraal which is non-reservable and costs the same whether you buy in advance or at the station on the day.

Schipol - Amsterdam and your day trip to Delft or Leiden you can buy on the day.

A pass is unlikely to be the answer.

Edited: 3:45 am, May 26, 2014
Los Angeles...
5. Re: Amsterdam Ghent Bruges Paris by train point to point or pass

Thanx Cecile74 for the website link.

Thanx wirewiper for your help I'll have a look into the multi-city booking.

Reply to: Amsterdam Ghent Bruges Paris by train point to point or pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted