We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
reviews: 118
Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

We are arriving in Amsterdam in early July on a Thursday morning and leaving from Amsterdam 10 days later on a Sunday. We would like to see Amsterdam, at least one other location in Holland,Bruge, Ghent, Brussels, and Luxembourg City. Is the best way by car or train? Will we run into the Tour de France at that time? I would like to avoid the crowds near the race.

I am not sure if we should see Amsterdam, then head to Luxembourg City, and then go around through Belgium or do the reverse where we end up in Luxembourg City and take the train on Saturday back to the Amsterdam airport for our Sunday flight. I am sure someone out there must have done this route. Thoughts? There are 3 in our party. One has seen Amsterdam, the others have not.

11 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
1. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

With 10 days I'd narrow it down to a maximum of three locations (for staying overnight). And maybe a daytrip here and there, coming back to that same place. All extra places you add, mean you lose time traveling: time you cannot spend doing fun things.

Personally I remember Luxemburg as being a bit boring except a castle in Vianden.

I love Ghent and Bruges, but dislike Brussels.

Perhaps this post is of use. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k74606…

And use www.seat61.com for all train info.

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 5:49 am, May 17, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
2. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

P.S. From Amsterdam, Paris is less travel time (3:09h) away than Bruges or Ghent (3:30 to 4h one way).. Even though Paris is farther away. High speed train, no changes...

If you fly open jaw you could combine Paris,

London and Amsterdam for example.

Or Paris, Ghent, Bruges and Amsterdam (choosing one of the places in Belgium to stay overnight, the other as a daytrip... And having less use for the high speed train).

By the way, a car is only useful if you avoid the cities. Congestions, confusing traffic / streets, high parking fees.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

You easily can do this for a road trip. I suggest to stay 3/4 nights Amsterdam. Rent the car after your Amsterdam visit and drive to Maastricht for your second Dutch city. On the way to Maastrcicht check out 's Hertogenbosch and Thorn (small white city in Limburg) Spend full day in Maastricht (2n) Drive to Luxembourg City and also stay 2 nights. Luxembourg has some very scenic drives. Then drive to Brussels/Ghent or Bruge for 2 days (3 nights) and drive back to Amsterdam that sunday if your flight is late enough to CT.

Tet

Connecticut
4. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

Thank you for the information. I think I need to sit down with a map and take a good look around. Cecile, thanks for the input. We want to stay in the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Belgium area and not head to London and Paris since we have seen both cities a couple times and want to visit new places. I will look into Bruges and Ghent. Tet14, thank you for the info. Our flight leaves in the late morning from Amsterdam to head home, but perhaps there is a way we can drive to the airport the night before thereby giving ourselves a full day in Belgium. I am still curious about a train so will be checking schedules and timing on that too.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
5. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

If you take the train you'll arrive in Luxembourg City at a moment. Just outside the trainstation the HOHO bus stops and makes its roundtrip in the City. You can take all day for that. It brings you to interesting places like old town and the "Kazematten" Between Maastricht and Luxembourg you can stop at Bastogne (Bastenaken) for WWII history. stripes.com/military-life/travel/bastogne-be…

Can't help on traintravel though.

Tet

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 117
6. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

We did this same trip a few years back and I think we had 12 days. However, we returned home from Brussels (which makes more sense than doubling back to amsterdam). But, since you've booked already :) here was our rough itinerary:

Amsterdam - 5 or 6 days (this was probably a little long, but it allowed us to visit delft, The Hague, and Arnhem)

We then took the train to Bruges and stayed there for one night and a full day of exploring (more than enough time IMO)

From there we took the train to Brussels and spent one night there (having been to Brussels several times now, I am still content with Brussels being a day trip)

Then we took the train to Luxembourg city. Yea....kind of a boring place. Had a fun run through there though...ended up in the lower valley. Anyhow, walked around Luxembourg for a few hours (including the little tourist train ride). The next day I went to the vianden castle (sp?). Then we did a day trip to Trier (loved it!).

We then took the train back to Brussels and spent the night at the airport.

We purchased the Benelux rail pass to cover the longer train rides between cities.

If I had to do it over again I don't think I would change a thing except to add more days and go further into the Mosel Valley. But I am returning to germany this summer, so it all works out.

Waterloo, Belgium
reviews: 332
7. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

Hi

I would stay less in NL and more in Belgium, but that's because I'm a Belgian.

Brussels is a must - you must see the market (grand place), Ghent is beautiful, Bruges is an old historical town turned into a living museum. lovely. Antwerp is nice too.... lots of palce to see, go on Belgium' forums...

As for trains etc on Belgium forum again you have a guru on trains (Qaminari).

Btw ending in Brussels might be a good idea, trpi to Amsterdam is easy via Thalys (fast train) book as much as possible in advance (tickets are available 3 months prior date of trip)

Luxemburg is quite nice but a daytrip is sufficient unless you go by car, the roads are nice but it takes time..

Amsterdam I can't comment, last time I went was 30 years ago, tried to go last year but was discouraged by answers from B&B I contacted and prices...

In any case, enjoy and taste a lot of beers while in Belgium !

Connecticut
8. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

Thank you for all the help. Our flights are in and out of Amsterdam because we are using FF miles and that was the only way to do it. Free is better!! More research to do. Oh, does anyone know of a town called De Kling in Belgium? We might be making a detour to visit a lady who lived with my husband's family when he was a child.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
9. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

Maybe 'De Klinge'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Klinge

Connecticut
10. Re: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle

That's it. Thank you. Looks like it is on the border and only about 30 minutes drive time from Antwerp.

Reply to: Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg Make the circle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted