We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel advice

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 12
hotel advice

This is our first trip to Europe. We are only spending 2 nights in Amsterdam. We want to be within walking distance of the RDL, canals, museums, etc and are hoping to only spend around $100 / night. In my searches it seems like the less expensive rooms are hostels or sharing bathrooms. Is this standard in Amsterdam? Are there any good suggestions? Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
1. Re: hotel advice

When are you visiting? What type of room do you need? If you've never used Priceline, have a look at the article about cheap hotels in the Top Questions on the right.

Portland, Oregon
2. Re: hotel advice

Pandora715,

Shared bathrooms is common in Europe especially in older buildings. Newer places will probably have "enusite" rooms.

just so you understand. usually, its more than one bathroom on a floor. There maybe just toilet rooms and some full bathrooms that are shared.

on my last trip to the Scandinavian countries, all most all of the places i stayed at had shared bathrooms. I didnt have any issues with them being in use since everyone is usually on a different schedule. also all of the rooms, so far, had at least a sink in it. on that trip, i only had 1 occasion of where the bathroom i wanted to use was occupied. No problem, just use one of the other 3 on the floor.

If you are concerned, ask them how many rooms there are per bathroom facilities.

also, 100 USD is approx 70 Euros. Not alot of $$ for a room. Hostel, yes, but not for a hotel.

also, try looking at booking.com

uk
reviews: 3
3. Re: hotel advice

Try the best western leidersplein , it will be under € 70

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
4. Re: hotel advice

Listen to Balou and post number 1

Upscale 4 star double rooms well located in the center for normally under $100 a night all in inc tax and fee.

The cost will depend on the dates. But it's still going to be a 4 star for 1 star prices.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 33
5. Re: hotel advice

Shared bathrooms are only common in hostels and real budget hotels as is much the same all over the world. The cheapest ensuite will often be Easyhotel if Priceline bidding doesn't work out for you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 6
6. Re: hotel advice

Even in true basic budget hotels like the Crystal most of their rooms will be ensuite.

Some like the ones I stayed in will not be.

Swansea, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: hotel advice

hello ,im going to amsterdam in september ,only for a long weekend ,i want to stay as central as possible ,im lokking for a apartment that beds 4 people ,2 seperate bedrooms .has anyone got any suggestions ,im looking at £100/£150 per night

Edited: 10:41 am, April 03, 2014
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 50
8. Re: hotel advice

Clare1002, try www.airbnb.com

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 27
9. Re: hotel advice

"Try the best western leidersplein , it will be under € 70"

I got a last minute deal here a few weeks back. The rooms are ensuite. It would definitely suit your needs.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
10. Re: hotel advice

Clare -

A lot depends on when you are going in September. What are your dates.

Reply to: hotel advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted