We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip from London

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
42 posts
Weekend trip from London

I am traveling from the US to London and would like to book a weekend trip to Amsterdam from London from May 2 to May 4. I was wondering if you could suggest a reasonably priced hotel with a good location. Prices for 700 per night were surprising. Also, I was thinking that we should fly and was wondering what the best airline to book is.. Any ideas would be appreciated..

Thank you,

Igo, California
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Weekend trip from London

If you are flying from London, I believe British Air and KLM have that market pretty well sewn up. It's a short flight so it really doesn't make much difference who you choose.

there are plenty of reasonably priced hotels - 700? That seems excessive. Check the Top Questions to the right of this column.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
5,407 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Weekend trip from London

EasyJet less than $220 round trip (check SkyScanner or EasyJet website).

For a hotel, give us a budget - we know its less than 700(?) but that's all.

Hopefully, MrJohnMD, this forum's guru for hotels and bidding on Priceline, will come on and give you some pointers on bidding for a four or five star hotels for ridiculous savings. Meanwhile, check out the last 20 pages or so of this thread:

Edited: 12:12 am, April 02, 2014
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Weekend trip from London

I travel to London frequently and these days much prefer the train. City Center to City Center it takes about an hour longer but the lack of hassle makes it more than worthwhile. - www.nshispeed.nl

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
74 reviews
4. Re: Weekend trip from London

Flying from London City airport is easiest, KLM offer that and perhaps BA too.

Easyjet doesn't fly from City airport but from airports that require a train ride that could cost £10 or more, so calculate the totals when choosing flights. (Or you can take the Easybus between the city and the airport but that takes much longer, about an hour.) Gatwick is the most convenient after City, in my opinion.

Good luck and have fun,

Cecilia // Amsterdam

Level Contributor
12,620 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Weekend trip from London

Possibly the lateness of the booking (one month ahead for a weekend in May, which in the UK is also a public holiday weekend), is accounting for the high prices.

Priceline bidding would seem to be the way to go for hotels.

Have a look at www.eurostar.com for trains, and price up easyjet, BA and KLM for flights. Also look at the 'Dutchflyer' sail-rail package if an overnight ferry crossing in a comfortable cabin would be an option.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
28,250 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: Weekend trip from London

Hmmm.. hotel prices seem to be really high and flights are not cheap either.

on http://www.travelsupermarket.com/holidays I see a package coming up with Last Minute for £662 (2 people) for the NH Barbizon with flights on KLM. Cheaper hotels are available.

Edited: 5:36 am, April 02, 2014
7. Re: Weekend trip from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 04, 2015