We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning visit this weekend!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
reviews: 22
Planning visit this weekend!

First trip to AMS, I have this weekend to pack in all my greatest interests. I have been checking the forum and I know there is a lot of expertise here so please let me know if this plan sounds feasible:

Arrive Sat 7 am, take Kuekenhof Express 858 from Schipol to garden (store bag in K'hof locker)

Lunchtime, return to Amsterdam, check into hotel near Muntplein, wander to Flower Market and Albert Cuyptmarkt

Early evening, Check out RLD (do you recommend to Prostitution Info Center tour?)

Dinner, crash.

Sunday, go early to Van Gogh Museum, then Rijksmuseum (will buy online tix, but which to visit first??), take a (self-guided) walking tour as far as stamina allows.

What I love (in order) is: Van Gogh, markets, quality food, flowers, beer, wandering unique places.

What I dislike is: long lines, being crowded and jostled, buying material stuff, online incivility.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and any food/pub recommendations!

5 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
1. Re: Planning visit this weekend!

Doing two big art museums on one day can be a bit much, although it's practical that they are close together. If you want to take a break in the middle, look up the Parisian-style garden at the foot of Rijksmuseum (Museumplein-side), where you can just take a chair and sit where you want, and there is a coffee stand too.

For your first day I suggest Noordermarkt instead of Albert Cuyp market. It's closer to where you are, it has an organic farmer's market, and also runs into a general food & clothes market that is attached on Saturdays. It's in the beautiful Jordaan area bordering the canal belt, you may want to pop over to beautiful Brouwersgracht while you're there.

The Flower market isn't all that big and I guess you can do that in about 15 minutes if you want, whenever is convenient. But I doubt it will surpass the experience of Keukenhof.

As for the red light district, of course a tour tells you all kinds of interesting facts, there are others apart from the PIC as well. But you could also just wander around by yourself.

For dinner you can check out the cheap Asian eateries on Zeedijk near the red light district.

Have fun!

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
2. Re: Planning visit this weekend!

Are the lockers at the the K'hof free? If not then put your bag in one at Schiphol so you won't have to drag it on and off the bus.

A'Cuyp market is actually closer to the Muntplein and has a direct tram line there in 5 minutes but whatever. The Noordemarkt is a farmers market so nicer food stalls there though.

If you go to the A'Cuyp then you can get pretty decent beer at the Gollum bar near there.

You have a pretty full schedule there. Are you flying in from the USA and doing all that in one day??

Minneapolis
reviews: 22
3. Re: Planning visit this weekend!

Thanks to both of you for the good input. I will take your advice on Noordermarkt (which I'm thinking TA has misplaced on the map?) I know it's going to be a bit exhausting - I tend to be my own worst enemy - but I've never had a memorable nap. :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
4. Re: Planning visit this weekend!

Yep they have definately misplaced it. It is by the Noorderkerk not the Noorderstraat.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Planning visit this weekend!

Still think you can fit in a few more things if you really try. :-))

Reply to: Planning visit this weekend!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted