We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Amsterdam for the First Time

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Traveling to Amsterdam for the First Time

My partner and I will be traveling to Amsterdam for a short stay from the 19th December '14 - 23rd December '13. I just wanted to get some tips and information from anyone on the following;

1. What is the best way to get around. I have heard bike riding is very popular? How much is it to hire bikes?

2. Any nice places to visit to eat during the days. We are on a strict budget so nothing too pricey.

3. Should we need to get day passes or anything for public transport and if so how much are they.

4. Anyone that has been during this time of the year what should we expect in terms of weather?

Anything else that you think we should do on our trip would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Jenny

4 replies to this topic
Igo, California
reviews: 34
1. Re: Traveling to Amsterdam for the First Time

You will find most of the answers to your questions in the "Top Questions about Amsterdam" to the left of this column.

Igo, California
reviews: 34
2. Re: Traveling to Amsterdam for the First Time

To the RIGHT of this column, I mean.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 54
3. Re: Traveling to Amsterdam for the First Time

You're visiting in December. It's now April. Plenty of time to go borrow an Amsterdam guidebook at a library or - just a crazy thought - actually buy one.

1. Hiring bikes is around €10-12 per day. Most locals get around by bike and I believe the city has more bikes than people. But in December the weather might not be attractive enough for you as a visitor to want to bike around. Just wait and see what it's like. Also, it's full-on traffic, with mopeds and taxis and tram lanes that you can get stuck in etc... Not for the faint of heart. Again, wait and see what it is like before deciding.

2. There are plenty of threads on here about eating cheaply. Do a search in this forum using the search box below. Or just eat at Vapiano or FEBO, or a cheap Asian eaterie in Zeedijk.

3. Depends. Only if your hotel is far out of the center which I would not recommend. The city is compact and walkable. More info on www.iamsterdam.com and in the Top Questions but mind you, prices might change between now and December.

4. It could be anything between -10 and +10 degrees Celsius, and it could be anything from sunny (making it feel warmer) to stormy, rainy, hailing or snowing. And it could be all that in one day. Especially wind and rain can make it feel much colder than it really is, we have high humidity. Bring layers that you can combine and peel off.

Start by getting a guidebook which contains all the answers to your questions, and by reading and clicking around on the city's website for visitors:

What to do: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/what-to-do

Itineraries: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…itineraries

December: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…december

And check that website again in November because then it will have a compilation page called 'Winter in Amsterdam' or something like that, the one that is now called 'Spring in Amsterdam'.

Have fun reading,

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
reviews: 57
4. Re: Traveling to Amsterdam for the First Time

Going to be cold, rainy, and windy. Bring really warm clothes. Amsterdam is a walking city. Trams work great too. Food all over in every price ranges. Grocery stores handy in the center too.

Reply to: Traveling to Amsterdam for the First Time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted