We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to buy train tickets

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wernersville, pa
When to buy train tickets

We will be arriving in Amsterdam on May 8 and leaving by train for Brugges on May 14. Can we wait until we arrive in Amsterdam to get the train tickets or must we get them before then.

10 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
1. Re: When to buy train tickets

Hi there,

Depends on how you want to travel Amsterdam-Antwerp/Brussels part. If it's with the IC train, with transfer in Rotterdam, there is no price advantage in prebooking. If it's with the High Speed Thalys, which only has some speed advantage Rotterdam-Antwerp-Brussels part and is generally more expensive, prebooking is very useful. Cheapest tix for May-8 sold out Feb-8 when sales opened already hence might not be helpful anymore to opt for this train.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
reviews: 34
2. Re: When to buy train tickets

'Thalys' currently has a few €51.40 fares on the 09.18 and 19.18 departures on Wednesday 14th May, a few €58.90 fares on the 16.18 and just €35.40 on the 20.18. Most other departures are showing €85.40, which is also the walk-up fare you would pay on the day (assuming there are seats left).

Otherwise it's the IC services with two or three changes at €47.00, and as said above it doesn't matter when you purchase those. These trains have no reservations so cannot possibly sell out.

http://www.nshispeed.nl/en

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
3. Re: When to buy train tickets

I'd pre-buy a ticket for the Thalys as described above, it saves you one change of trains and is faster.

Amsterdam, The...
4. Re: When to buy train tickets

P.S. Just to be clear, even with the Thalys you still need at least one change of trains, either in Antwerp or Brussels. But if you use intercity trains only, you ALSO need a change in Rotterdam on top of that.

I think while you're at it, buying the Thalys ticket, you might as well look up and buy tickets for the Antwerp - Bruges part (or the Brussels - Bruges part if that happens to be more convenient time-wise), even though those are fix price. You can try on www.nshispeed.nl or www.b-europe.com. You can try spellings Bruges or Brugge.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: When to buy train tickets

Just to give you another option (train would also be my first) you can take a Eurolines direct coach to Brugge for only €24 for the both of you. The bus only takes an hour longer than the average IC train.

Another option is to take the train to Vlissingen, fast ferry to Breksens and bus to Brugge.

wernersville, pa
6. Re: When to buy train tickets

RonaldoC. Where would we get the bus and can we get the tickets once we get to Amsterdam. The reason I hesitate to get train tickets from here is that I had quite a hassle doing it in the past. Thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
7. Re: When to buy train tickets

Eurolines buses leave from Amsterdam Amstel station. See http://eurolines.com/en/

The cheapest tickets sell out as time progresses but you'll probably pay less than for the train even if you wait until the last moment.

But buses can get stuck in traffic...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
8. Re: When to buy train tickets

What post 7 said. There's only one bus per day though but it leaves at 0830 so hopefully will miss most of the traffic.

If you want to travel by train the only one you need to buy in advance is the Thalys. For the normal IC trains you can just turn up at the station. Keep an aye on the NSHispeed site or sign up for e-mail alerts as they often have deals to Belgium like the 2 for 1 recently.

wernersville, pa
9. Re: When to buy train tickets

What I am most concerned about is ease and it seems that one bus is easier than having to change trains. We are an older couple and are looking for the least amount of hassle. We had an unpleasant experience once changing trains in Marseille and would rather avoid that if possible.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
10. Re: When to buy train tickets

Well then the bus seems to be a good option. Pretty cheap also. If you are OK with long bus journeys then go for it.

Reply to: When to buy train tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted