We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wernersville, pa
Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

We will have time to see one of these. Which is more interesting? We would plan on spending a large part of the day to see the museums, shop and eat.

14 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
1. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

Hi there,

Zuiderzee for sure! A far more natural and complete setting, for 270' of your panorama you really feel like 200 years back while at ZS about every corner you point your eyes on except the windmills you see the modern world around you. Also the shows like e.g. cheese factory and wooden shoe making are similar, though at Zuiderzee these are only in high season all days and for the rest mainly weekends. On the other hand, Zuiderzee only has 1-2 windmills.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 53
2. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

Another vote for Zuiderzee Museum.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

+2

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
4. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

+3

liverpool, england
reviews: 144
5. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

Have not been to Zuiderzee so cannot offer a comparison, but have been to Zaanse Schans several times, and have always enjoyed it; it is also very easy to get there - directly from Centraal station on bus 391 in 40 minutes.

Wherever you decide, have fun!

Quebec City, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
reviews: 2
6. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

juejosh - you should put Zuiderzee M. on your to-do list for next visit :) Equally easy to get to: 1 direct train from Amsterdam Centraal, 60 minutes journey total. Enkhuizen is the very last station of the line, and a really lovely old town on top of its museum.

Malaysia
reviews: 33
7. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

If I want to do both would it be redundant? And if I want to go to Zuidersee first say at 10 am and then leave by 2 for Zaanse Schans how do I go about it using public transport? How long should one stay at Zuidersee museum?

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

@RikaMalaysia, they are not the same or similar, so it would not be so strange to visit both. Whether you find it doable to do both on the same day is up to you.

Amsterdam - Enkhuizen: about an hour;

Enkhuizen - Zaanse Schans: about 1.5 hours;

Zaanse Schans - Amsterdam: about half an hour.

For public transport you can use this planner: www.9292.nl/en (several results will show up on the left, I personally prefer options with less changes of transport)

I think you can easily spend a couple of hours at Zuiderzee Museum without getting bored, more time if you also visit the center and shore of Enkhuizen. The museum depicts an old fishermen's village with craftspeople at work.

Zaanse Schans is quite small, I'd say an hour or so is enough. As far as I remember it has some shops and windmills.

Edited: 3:30 pm, May 08, 2014
9. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

Any recommended tour companies to see the windmills that don't rush you through like cattle?

Amsterdam, The...
10. Re: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans

Liz, just take the public bus. :-) You can stay as long as you like.

Reply to: Zuiderzee Museum or Zaanse Schans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted