We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Ana...
reviews: 7
Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

I will be driving with my wife in a new Porsche from Stuttgart to Amsterdam to check into the Okura Hotel on May 30th. I would love to stay at romantic hotels and inns along the way, while not feeling too rushed. It's an area that I don't know and have never been in before except to the 2 cities. I am a very young 78 and my wife has mobility issues and walks with a cane. We would be interested in accessible sights along the way, memorable restaurants, memories in the making. This is a "bucket list" dream in a Turbo S, to a medical conference that justifies the trip. Suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
reviews: 3
1. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

Cochem on the Mosel River is lovely. Dusseldorf is quite nice.

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

You didn't say how long how many days you wanted to take.

First, head for Heidelberg. One of the most beautiful towns in all of Europe, you can absolutely lose yourself there (Ich hab' mein Herz in Heidelberg verlorenm - I lost my heart in Heidelberg). This place is great but you need to check with the hotel after arrival in order to minimize your wife's mobility issues:

www.heidelbergsuites.com/en/Contact-us/

The fusgangerzone (pedestrian area) is fantastic. Hopefully your wife can navigate from place to place in order to enjoy it. Be sure to take a drive along the Bergstrasse, one of the most beautiful drives in the world:

germany.travel/en/…bergstrasse-route.html

From Heidelberg, I would head for the Rhine River Valley. I used to do business in the area when I lived in Germany and always enjoyed staying in Trier, an ancient Roman town with lots of history. You'll have lots of choices as you will be going for the region and not just one town.. Try to make it to Koblenz where the Rhine and Mosel come together. This is one of the best wine growing regions in the world - try taking a drive to smaller towns like Bitburg or Bernkastel. Try to arrange a day or half day cruise - beautiful beyond belief. Try this place:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187394-d238341…

At this point my recommendation would be to head a little west before heading north to Amsterdam, If you are a WWII history buff, you might want to spend time in the Ardennes area around Bastogne or maybe even further south in Luxembourg City. I always enjoyed the French speaking cities in the south of Belgium, particularly Liege, Namur, Charleroi, and Mons. My favorite hotel in Liege is now gone but you can't go wrong staying in the centre ville of any of these.

From this area, consider heading north to the Flemish Cities of Ghent and Bruges before heading for Amsterdam. I have never done an overnight in Bruges although I have been multiple times. Gorgeous. Never been to Ghent but many on this forum like it better than Bruges. If you can arrange a brief stop in Wareloo on your way, it is worthwhile.

If you look things over and have more questions, feel free to come back and ask.

ENJOY!

Santa Ana...
3. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

Many, many great ideas, and Bastogne is something that I never would have considered on my own, so thank you so much! I will get to work on time and distances. My Porsche will have to be dropped off in Amsterdam on a Friday, so that is my limiting factor. Again, thanks for your insights and your time.

Winter Haven...
4. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

Just a side note. The first autobahn (super highway) in the world was built by Hitler between Mannheim and Frankfurt. Today it has a minimum of four lanes (usually more) in each direction. No better place to drive without speed limits and "let 'er rip".

UK
reviews: 24
5. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

Another side note... Thursday 29 May is Ascension Day which - as far as I'm aware - is a public holiday in all the countries along your route. You will need to find out what is or isn't open on that day. I know that shops will be closed in Germany that day (because Germany is very strict about "no shopping on Sundays and public holidays"), I don't know about France/Belgium/Luxembourg/The Netherlands. Restaurants and tourist attractions should be open.

A lot of people take advantage of the holiday to go travelling for the long week-end, so roads will be busy and hotels in tourist areas are likely to be booked up..

Santa Ana...
6. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

A belated thanks for the warning, and along my tentative route, Stuttgart-Wiesloch-Heidelberg (overnight), Dormstadt-Bastogne vicinity (overnight) and on to Amsterdam, where I must go to work, are there aviation museums. I am a WW2 aviation enthusiast and have actually ridden in a Spitfire (TF9). Any other suggestions are welcome.

Winter Haven...
7. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

There is an aviation museum at the Lelystad Airport - not specific to WWII and quite a ways out:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188560-d2…

Lots of WWII history in Amsterdam. If you interested in it, let us know. Might be a little spread out for your wife.

UK
reviews: 24
8. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

There are two museums near the start of your route that may be of interest - in Sinsheim and Speyer. They are both transport/technology museums, each with a sizeable aviation section. Again, not specifically WWII related, but I certainly remember seeing aircraft from that era at Sinsheim (haven't been to Speyer)

Santa Ana...
9. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

You nailed it! We plan to spend our first night in Heidelberg, and the museum is right on the path to Heidelberg. The museum page looks quite interesting. I'll check out the second suggestion as well, but you really helped me out. Thank you. RE: Museum Sinsheim And, to stay in the good graces of my ever patient wife, do you know of a romantic boutique hotel and restaurant in Heidelberg?

Winter Haven...
10. Re: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30

Try this place right down the street from the bridge.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187286-d9…

As for hotel, I stand by my original recommendation.

Reply to: Driving from Stuttgart to Amsterdam: May 27-May 30
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted