We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Amsterdam trip plans

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pune, India
reviews: 8
Advise on Amsterdam trip plans

My husband and I are visiting Amsterdam around 1st May for 6 days. This is our first visit and am looking for advise on my plan. We are nature lovers and my primary aim is to see flowers.This is a complete Do It Yourself trip plan.

1st May --- Canal tour and getting familiar with Amsterdam, then Vondelpark and then dinner at Leidseplein

2nd May -- Keukenhof Gardens & Tulip fields surrounding

3rd May --- Zaanse Schaan, then some museums in Amsterdam [ this is the day of the flower parade. Will it impact our plans?]

4th May -- Haarlem - to see the floats - I have read that the ride from Haarlem to Leiden and then back to Amsterdam will take one past a lot of flower fields. Is that true? Will the flowers still be there as I have read that bulb growers remove the heads

5th May --- Hague (Madurodam, Japanese gardens) & Delft

6th May --- Amsterdam

Does this sound too rushed? I am not sure what would be the best pass to purchase since it seems we will do quite a few train, bus and tram connections. Any suggestions?

Based on above plan, what is the recommended location where I should look for hotels?

Thanks in advance. Greatly appreciate any inputs.

5 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: Advise on Amsterdam trip plans

The flower parade does not go near either Zaanse Schaans or Amsterdam so no worries about it affecting you on the 3rd. The tulip fields might have been cut by the beginning of May, especially as this year seems to be an early harvest.

You seem to be spending quite a lot of time outside Amsterdam. Using trains you are still better off getting paper tickets as you go. As for hotels, and I don't normally say this, I think you should stay in Leiden which would be more convenient for getting to the K'hof, Haarlem and Den Haag etc.

Does not seem to be too rushed.

Pune, India
2. Re: Advise on Amsterdam trip plans

@RonaldoC Thanks for your inputs. While I do have a lot of trips planned outside of Amsterdam, I am hoping to have all evenings dedicated to experiencing the city. We like to experience a bit of city life on trips. By that I mean a variety of cuisine options, restaurants that stay open late, some music concert if possible, sitting at cafes watching the crowds go by their routine. So would like to pick a place in Amsterdam to stay. I had heard Jordan is a good neighborhood. But I am not sure if I will get hotels this late. I would like to stay near Amsterdam Central I guess so all our trips out are easier.. Any suggestions of hotels around the station?

Thanks once again.

liverpool, england
reviews: 144
3. Re: Advise on Amsterdam trip plans

What sort of budget are you looking at, and what are you looking at from your hotel? this will help to provide ideas of hotels that will suit your needs and your pocket.

Amsterdam, The...
4. Re: Advise on Amsterdam trip plans

Hurry with your hotel reservation if you haven't got one yet - the first days of May are suuuuuperbusy - many hotels are already full or have very high rates.

Pune, India
5. Re: Advise on Amsterdam trip plans

@LatvianGG - you are absolutely right :-( I am not getting any decent reservations. Plus the visa process will take a bit of time here with some holidays around the corner..

@juejosh - looks like nothing available in my budget

Plus I am reading on the Flower updates that due to warm weather flowers are already blooming. It seems to me that they will probablt also be cut off earlier. My trip was aimed entirely on experiencing the endless flower fields I have seen in images. I think I will reschedule and plan better for the next year. It seems too touch and go to aim for this Spring. O what a shame.. :-(

For the next year should I aim to be there from about 20th April for a week? While it is impossible to predict the weather, from your experience, is 20th April a good probability of seeing flower fields?

Thanks all the same for all your inputs. Really appreciate it.

Reply to: Advise on Amsterdam trip plans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted