We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Haddam...
reviews: 68
trip report

Just got back from my first trip and definitely not the last to Amsterdam. I want to thank all the regular posters on the Amsterdam thread for all their knowledge. I didn't ask many questions prior to going only because you guys provided so many answers to others.

The first 2 days I would have to say both my wife and myself were ready to close the book on Amsterdam and not return, while beautiful the layout was so foreign it was very hard for us to get our bearings, and the massive amounts of people, bikes, trams, and cars at rush hour overwhelmed us.

It wasn't until we took a bike tour (Mikes) that split time between the city and country were we able to feel comfortable navigating the city. I think staying in a B&B also helped with the transition by having a dialogue at breakfast with the other travelers and the inn keeper.

By the 3rd and 4th day both my wife and I were trying to figure out when would be the next possible time we could make it back to this city. The architecture, transportation, layout and feel is so unique in this city we feel it would take many more trips to explore much of what it has to offer.

Again, thanks for all the Amsterdam regular posters for all the good advice and I look forward to visiting many more times.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
1. Re: trip report

another on hooked :)

matty

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty

Auckland Region...
reviews: 80
2. Re: trip report

Thank you for sharing your impressions of amsterdam! Do you live in a small town normally?

East Haddam...
3. Re: trip report

Yes I'm from a town with about 6,500 people, but I think the uneasiness came with us arriving at the train station at 4:30/5:00pm and with the amount of bikes. Growing up with a block system in the cities has been easy and Amsterdam threw a curveball at me. At the end I really liked the set up of the city, but when you get lost and you have already walked 7-8 miles frustration will set in.

My wife and I both agreed that in our future visits, when renting bikes and when we are in the city at rush hour we will hit a café or bar, relax a little and let the craziness settle before getting back on the bikes.

I've very happy that my first impression of the city was turned on its head and might advise people that if nervous about renting a bike, is to take an afternoon and head out to Vondelpark and out of the center to get your confidence up.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 80
4. Re: trip report

Glad that it all worked out and you are now thinking of going back!

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 29
5. Re: trip report

Glad to hear you overcame your frustrations. I've been a load of times but still have my tablet with google maps on it, with gps turned on, just in case I get lost whilst wandering about. Best of luck in your future travels there :)

p.s. I noticed your avatar with the lovely image of the Liver Bird over the Stars & Stripes.. it looks really nice. Where does that image come from?

Edited: 1:59 am, March 26, 2014
East Haddam...
6. Re: trip report

just a random liver bird search from a couple years ago, not sure where I ripped it from. Probably from some US Liverpool supporters group

liverpool, england
reviews: 166
7. Re: trip report

First time we visited I was completely thrown by (a) the curve of the canals and (b) both sides of the canals have the same name; as there are roads down each side, I assumed they would have different names. Once I figured that out, I was sorted - but it did take a few days!

Glad you eventually felt at ease and enjoyed your time in Amsterdam, and I totally agree - the DE's on this forum offer great, helpful advice.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 8
8. Re: trip report

I'd say it's all the regulars not just the de's here.

A minor but very accurate quibble I believe

9. Re: trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 28, 2015