We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

We will be in Amsterdam for one day from 7:30am -9pm. Once we're in the city, should we rent bikes or use public transportation. (We do like biking.)

13 replies to this topic
UK
reviews: 13
11. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

The main difference is as follows:

A bad cyclist is unlikely to cause me to have a serious injury. However, a bad driver has the potential to injure or kill me.

It's a culture / attitude thing too. In the Netherlands, cycling is a way of life. It's accepted as a mode of transport. In the UK it's growing in popularity but the majority of drivers still have a very negative attitude towards cyclists. Their presence is tolerated but most people don't want them on the roads.

I've had drivers beep their horns at me for no reason. Many seem to believe they have a greater right to the roads. Some have attempted to bully me off the road by driving too close to me on purpose. Other drivers have put my life at risk by switching lanes without signalling or being too occupied by their phone calls to care about the safety of other road users. In the last year, three angry drivers have got out of their cars to threaten me. A friend of mine was pushed off his bike and physically assaulted.

Many cyclists in the UK have now taken to wearing helmet cameras to record their experiences.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 8
12. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

A brief insight into an unwritten street traffic hierarchy in Amsterdam:

At the bottom of the tree is the pedestrian, followed by tourists on bicycles and scooters, then motorbikes, then cars, then minivans, then busses, then trams, then freight trucks and finally - at the top of the list - locals on bicycles. ;-)

liverpool, england
reviews: 142
13. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

Just beware the tram tracks, and the trams themselves, other tourist that dont know how to cycle, and also be familiar with your proposed route, so you are not juggling a map whilst reading it, avoiding the tracks etc all at once, and you will be fine. But you may actually enjoy the buildings, sights, canals etc on foot better given that it is your first trip, then next time you visit you will be familiar with the lay of the land and be ready to go.

Have fun what ever you do - and at crossings, please look down for wheelchairs/ children etc too not just looking up for people at head height - had a few close calls and a few bashes too.

Reply to: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted