We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

We will be in Amsterdam for one day from 7:30am -9pm. Once we're in the city, should we rent bikes or use public transportation. (We do like biking.)

13 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 60
1. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

Hi - I liked biking too until I moved to Amsterdam. Now I take a tram. So tired of everyone screaming at me and ringing their bells!!

Good luck and watch out - MMK

Alta, Norway
reviews: 4
2. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

I have been to Amsterdam many, many times, and I would never ever ride a bike there! I think using a bike in such a bike-friendly city, demands a lot of skills, which I think mainly the locals have... Use your feet and walk :) And when you get tired, get on a tram. It is very easy, and takes you all over the city. Enjoy wonderful Amsterdam!

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 32
3. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

Unless you were earlier Evil Knieval's wing man I would suggest using your feet and tram. One day is not enough in my opinion to get a good enough feel for the often busy combination of cars, pedestrians, trams and bikes all sharing the roadway to safely enjoy biking about.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
4. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

As long as you avoid rush hour riding a bike is not as difficult as my fellow posters make out. In fact a lot easier and safer than in most other world cities as there are bike paths everywhere and bikes have right of way over vehicles and trams.

We have had this discussion before many times and some people seem to not like bikes. IMO it's the best way to get around. I have an annual tram pass but cycle everywhere unless the weather is really bad.

So get a bike.

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

I couldn't imagine not biking when visiting, but for just a day? I agree that there is too much to see just walking and tramming that you would miss when concentrating on the biking in Amsterdam. Enjoy!

UK
reviews: 13
6. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

Since you enjoy cycling you should hire bikes. I'm definitley going to hire a bike when I visit.

It's by far the best way to experience the way of life in Amsterdam. Don't expect fancy road bikes though - you'll be looking at clunky Dutch step-through type bikes. Many of them have a back pedal mechanism which replaces standard hand brakes.

The cycling infra is very good over there but it may be worth planning your routes in advance.

It's best to keep to the right hand side of the bike lanes, ride single file where possible. Make sure you indicate when turning. Give way to traffic coming from the right. Look out for trams and when you're crossing tram tracks make sure you do so at an angle. If you need to stop it's best to get out of the bike lane and walk with your bike on the pavement. When you hire a bike make sure you get insurance as many of them do get stolen.

New York City, New...
reviews: 8
7. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

no question renta Bike

Winter Haven...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

<It's best to keep to the right hand side of the bike lanes, ride single file where possible. Make sure you indicate when turning. Give way to traffic coming from the right. Look out for trams and when you're crossing tram tracks make sure you do so at an angle. If you need to stop it's best to get out of the bike lane and walk with your bike on the pavement. When you hire a bike make sure you get insurance as many of them do get stolen.>

I think this is what the first few posters were talking about.

In Amsterdam, bike riding is a blood sport.

UK
reviews: 13
9. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

Let's drop the scaremongering, folks. Of course cycling in Amsterdam requires a certain set of skills but compared to other cities it's really not that bad. In the UK (and much of the US), the cycling infrastructure is very poor.

In Amsterdam there are less dangerous junctions to contend with. There is little need to adopt primary position to prevent close passes. There are fewer reckless, speeding drivers on cell phones. There are less angry cyclist-hating motorists who will give you a close pass just to "teach you a lesson".

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 60
10. Re: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?

Sandhun you are correct!

The infrastructure is amazing and most all motorists yield to cyclists.

The problem is the other cyclists. They are extremely rude and (almost) every time I go cycling I get screamed at. I've lived here 16 years now and it still happens. I fancied myself a very competent cyclist, traveling with Backroads and Vermont Bicycle touring companies for cycling holidays, but the Amsterdam cyclists have taken all the joy of it out for me. Once, one fellow screamed at me, and then followed me, and then took my bike and threw it - luckily for me NOT into a canal. All because he was turning and I was going straight and he tried to pass me and turn in front of me. He claimed I cut him off, but I was going straight. In fact he was trying to cut ME off.

Another time a guy was cycling the wrong way and he then yelled at me I didn't give him enough room to get by.

Another time a guy had to stop because I had stopped for a red light and he didn't want to stop, so he lost his balance and momentum.

It's a horrible horrible experience and now I take the tram!!!

Best of luck to the OP whatever you decide. Just have a sense of humor and don't burst into tears like I have done on more than one occasion.

MMK

Reply to: Amsterdam transportation: Bike or public transportation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted